Friday, June 22, 2007

Wagering in the 'burg

The 'burg has been an unintentional theme this week so it's only fitting to end with a note about it's biggest yearly event.

Rain Day is July 29 and has been a part of Waynesburg history since 1874. It has rained on July 29th 109 times in the past 131 years.

It began when John Daly, of Daly and Spraggs Drug Store, noticed that it rained every year on his birthday (July 29.) According to the Rain Day history page,

Mr. Daly thought this was too sure a thing to let pass, so he started betting salesmen who came into his drugstore that it would rain in Waynesburg on July 29. The bet was usually a new hat, which of course he would win.

Since then, the city of Waynesburg has found unsuspecting public personalities to continue this wager.

Celebrity bettors include Troy Polamalu, Donald Trump, Mr. Rogers and Mr. McFeely, Jay Leno, Troy Aikman, Willard Scott, Johnny Carson, Arnold Palmer, Cassius Clay, The Three Stooges, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Jack Dempsey.

On July 29, High Street is closed, local bands march in the Rain Day Parade and there's enough fried dough and corn dogs to keep everyone happy.

There is a Rain Day "green space" in what is called Hooper Park. I'm pretty sure it's a misuse of the word "park" but the statue is kind of cool.


On the knitting front-the kimono is blocking- photos to follow. Today's knitting mission is to learn how to make 2 socks on one long circular needle. If you don't hear from me, I've lost my mind.

On a side note, Sophie the Cat's health is on the decline. She's o.k. in the morning but by the end of the day she looks pretty weak. Three cheers for the husband who every night is faced with me in a tizzy of weepiness mumbling, "I'm going to miss her, I know she's going to die tonight." He replies, "There's nothing wrong with her." (we all deal with the inevitable in our own ways.) I've decided not to blog further about this but if/when it happens I'll post a memorial photo on the sidebar.

5 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Rain Day--love it!

Sorry to learn that your kitty is old and fading, it's hard to accept, I know...

Anonymous said...

Every day is like Rain Day. Silent and gray. Sorry... I'm just a bit sick of gloomy weather.

Very very sorry to hear that Sophie is declining. I'd be a weepy mess too. Hang in there and good luck with the socks!

Olga said...

Good luck on the sox journey! Some day I need to get up to speed with all the other cool knitters and learn how to do all that new fangled stuff. And your kitty -*hugs* My heart goes out to you.

5elementknitr said...

I'm so sorry about your kitty. That's never an easy thing.

I found some good sites for tutorials. I'm saving them for my next Tippa Tuesday but here they are for you. You are probably the one who made me find them but I can't remember.

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

http://webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/twosocksoneneedle.htm

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

Yarnhog said...

Rain Day sounds like fun (no school--must be good!).
I'm sorry about Sophie. She'll always be Real (you can see my post with that title if you don't get the allusion).