Thursday, June 28, 2007

Eleven?!?!

How can there be that many? Where do they come from?

Bob learned a little more about blog friends yesterday. If there is a picture that's missing from today's post, it's the look on his face when I shared with him all of the possibilities from all of the comments.

Sit and Knit- we Sat and Knat.

First there was M- she's been knitting for 3 years (about as long as I have) but speaks with the authority of one who has been knitting longer. I agree with most of her opinions. I just wouldn't feel so strongly in stating them given my inexperience.

Next there was S. She brought in her finished coral cabled cardigan which she had apparently knit with the guidance of one of the store owners and with no real pattern- just the one in her (the owner's) head. Wendy at Knit and Tonic just posted a thing about knitters who go running to their LYS for help on things they don't know how to do (like for every dropped stitch.)

S wasn't doing this but I can see how LYS owners might be partially to blame for enabling this dependent behavior. Give the woman a pattern and teach her how to read it! No wonder knitting gets such a reputation for being this magical mystical secret that only the initiated can acquire.

S and I exchanged email addresses and now she's thinking about trying socks. I sent her a pattern.

Ruth, the partial owner, crochets, and was once again skilled at maintaining a relaxing, no pressure environment.

Priscilla, local law enforcement, was not able to give me a ticket this time for an expired meter. I found out that I was "one of the gang" after receiving one the week before. Apparently she's notorious for standing near the meters with only one minute left.

Reflecting on the day, it occurred to me that knitters are knitters are knitters. We're all so very similar and different at the same time whether gathered at the LYS or gathered at the BLOG. When someone says she's a knitter, you know a little something about her but not everything-which is what makes it so interesting.

Oops... I almost forgot. LYS indulgences- a pair of #2 60" Addi Turbos for one last go at the magic loop and some yarn to try this which is the stranded knitting bag (which could be postal v 5.0 though they don't felt it there.) Why not try both stranded knitting AND felting at the same time. I'm starting to feel a little ADD myself.

8 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Not that I lack faith in your abilities, but considering the unfortunate fates of your previous felted postal bags, and the (to me, at least) unpredictable nature of stranded knitting, are we really thinking that combining felting and stranded knitting is a good idea? I'm just kidding--go for it!

5elementknitr said...

I think trying stranded and felting together is a great idea. That's what I plan on doing for my first stranded project (to be determined). The felting is so forgiving that you don't have to stress and mistakes you make in the stranding! Too loose? Felting will tighten it up. Too tight? The puckering will give the felting texture and style.

Also, I received the yarn you donated to make a helmet liner. Thanks! I'm putting your name in an extra time for the random drawing later!

sophanne said...

You are both correct but again I'll have to heed my own blog motto- where but in the knitting of an intermediate novice...

Yarnhog said...

By the way--I've named you a "Rockin' Girl Blogger"! See my blog for your button.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Beat Priscilla at her own game!

Quail Hill Knits said...

Your comment in your blog about some knitters running to their LYS every time they encounter a problem really rang true. I have observed women who supposedly have been knitting for two or three years being unable to tink back a row to fix an error. I am always amazed at others who have never blocked or assembled a single one of their projects. And forget about a gauge swatch. I can't believe the number of people I encounter who cannot knit a swatch in any yarn and convert the pattern to match the yarn type.

Lauren Barnett said...

wow! im so excited. thanks...now i feel like a real blogger!!!!! how awesome...

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I think we go running to our LYSs because it's always more fun to knit with others as knitting alone is a major drag--it seems like in previous times knitting was always done in a group....