Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Calling all imaginary friends...

So here's the dealio- we're going to Seattle, Portland and Vancouver for vacation. Home base is in Seattle. We'll be taking overnight train trips to Portland and Vancouver (no car in those locales)

We'll have in tow anywhere from 3-5 kids under the age of 7 and3-6 adults. (Fewer in Portland- the whole gang in Vancouver)

We're thinking a scavenger hunt of sights as in "Ooh Grandfather, I spotted the space needle" with travel journals as well as any activities/locations that might be of interest to their big brains. (I might be able to get them to at least one yarn shop, 2 of them can knit and we have to do something on the 4 hour train ride)

And yes, they do call him "Grandfather" but it's not so severe as it sounds. Have you ever a 3 year old tried to prounounce the multi-syllabic "grandfather?" It comes out something like "Granfawehw! Granfawehw!" They never say it just once- especially when they're counting all the circles they can find or imaginary "Headquarters" is calling.

Husband is always getting valuable information as to which mechanics, vetrinarians, etc to go to locally at his job on the railroad. I've more than once heard, "I'll ask the guys on the railroad-they'll know."

This evening when we were discussing our travel plans I said, "I'll ask my imaginary friends, they'll know!"

I suggested (given his fondness of coffee) that the ones who were old enough could get autographs from all of the Starbucks employees that serve him during the 2 weeks. He scoffed at this a little, looking for something more educational and possibly map-related. Geesh.

It's a cloudy idea as yet, but I have smart imaginary friends.

16 comments:

Quail Hill Knits said...

Hi Becky: One of the sights that your kids should be able to spot are three large sculptures on I-5 just outside of Winlock, Washington. (See my blog dated March 18, 2007) There is the Space Needle of course but there is a very strange looking building about a block NE. If you go to Google Earth and type in the Space Needle you can can see it. It looks as strange at ground level as it does in the air. There are some great yarn shops to visit .... One of my favorites in Villiage Knit and Tea in Edmonds, The Weaving Works in Seattle, The Allyn Knit Shop in Allyn (Other Side of the Sound). It you are going into Vancouver Canada, the Titanic Artifact Exhibit is at the Science Museum (Along with this very cool crab in front). If you want me to send some links, email me and I will send them to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh blah... I don't know that area at all (both the location part and the entertaining kids part). All I know is that Portland is a very 'green' city, and they have this cool sky rail thing.

When do you go?

knottykitty said...

If you are going to downtown Seattle to see the Space Needle, try to see Pike Place Market as well---that place can keep everyone busy and interested for hours! There is also the Seattle Art Museum down the street, with the giant "hammering man" sculpture. If you have enough time, there is a great giant troll living under an overpass in Fremont!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Well in Seattle you'll have to go to Tricoter...and in Portland I believe there's a park dedicated to Beverly Cleary of Beezus and Ramona fame!

Anonymous said...

I would suggest a count on totem poles - especially in Vancouver. There's a zoo at Stanley Park as well as totems:)
If you're coming this far too bad you aren't coming to Victoria for the day - the museum here is terrific!

Olga said...

Are imaginary friends like voices in your head telling you what to do?? 'cept these ones keep saying 'knit knit' instead of 'kill kill'. No advice here, I live toooo far away....

Lydee said...

Sounds like fun; I've never been out that way, it sounds beautiful!

sophanne said...

WOW! Thanks so much all- I've just put together a list for husband. I'll look like I've accomplished so much this afternoon and now I can get back to knitting!

Yarnhog said...

I've never been there, so I can't help with local sightseeing. I thought your Starbucks Stars (see, I even have a catchy name for it!) was a great idea! If your husband is like mine, you'll visit at least 20 Starbucks shops, and each one has at least three baristas--that's a lot of signatures!

5elementknitr said...

OK, I called one of my best friends (who now lives in Portland) and the place they go to for breakfast All. The. Time. is Everett Street Bistro. They rave about it!

sunshine said...

I have plenty of places to visit in Portland but none that the kids would like. Sorry!! The train ride itself would make me happy!

Olga said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the web-cam of the corn palace, 'cuz I think its actually better than seeing the real deal.In person, its BORING.no joke. My daughter is going to Seattle today with Bro-in-law for a couple of weeks to vist, it is a nice vacation place.

Haley said...

don't have any suggestions for you, but this sounds like tons of fun. can't wait to hear how it goes!

Quail Hill Knits said...

Hi again: Glad the comments helped. As to traveling with bird, Ricco has a travel cage and his wings are clipped. He likes to perch so he can look out the window. He is a talker so the entire time we are traveling, we tend to have a running comments of "Ricco", "Hello",
Ah Ha" and wolf whisles (that's what he has learned so far). Once we get to Washington, he is tranferred to the large parrot cage. We leave the door open so he is in and out all day. He never leaves the cage or the perch on top but the cage is near a window and he likes to look out.

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Are you speaking of Vancouver Staeside or Vancouver BC? If it's Vancouver BC, take the kids to Granville Island, they will have a great time and the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park. The Capilano Suspension Bridge is also pretty. If it's the other Vancouver--No Clue! Have Fun

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Oooh, now I know it's MY Vancouver--the one I was born and raised in. I thought of something else the kiddywinks might really like. You can take the seabus from the skytrain terminal in Gastown across the inlet to North Vancouver. There is a nice market on the North Van side where you can have lunch called Lonsdale Quey (sp?). The seabus ride is the best! The kids can see the whole harbour, the tug boats, freighters,cruise ships it's really cool!!! I rode it to work for years and I STILL think it's really cool.