Thursday, June 14, 2007

not for the faint of heart

Yesterday's post and comments about clothes shopping and outlet mall quality rang true. Crappier name brand stuff at not so much lower prices. Having visited 2 LYS's, today's purchases were the opposite of that. Quality stuff at not so much lower prices.

I decided that this trip's yarn souvenir(s)would be about looking for and trying out all of the fabulous yarns I've read about on-line over the last six months. What follows is a souvenir list not for the faint of heart- also not for those bored by "yarn snob lists" as I once was 6 months ago.

1 skein Shepherd Sock superwash- Wisteria
2 skeins Koigu KPPM lemon lime
2 skeins Malabrigio ochre
1 skein Cherry Tree Hill supersock with olive greenish colorways
4 balls of Rowan cashsoft baby dk in yellow for a baby kimono for a pregnant friend.

In an effort not to blind anyone by the luxury of it all, I'll wait to post pictures. The allowance for the month of June, like Scarlett, is "Gone with the Wind" but "frankly my dear...." I feel like I've gone to yarn heaven. It's got a green/yellow tint to it.

A conversation overheard at the LYS about the "Boca Sweater" which is apparently a sweater that has the back and the arms so that you can throw it over your shoulders- some people call it a shrug but this lady was sure that it was invented in Boca. The line of the day was from another knitter who said, "Why wouldn't you just knit the whole sweater?" (insert your own Long Island accent)

8 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love that overheard comment, only in Florida!;)

Olga said...

I loved doing the kimono, you do mean the Mason-Dixon right? I plan on making a few more of those this summer for all the babies that are going to pop out.Nice yarn selection, but why did you pick out all the cheap stuff? Just kidden! ;o)

sophanne said...

The kimono that I'm going to do I found in interweave knits summer 2005. Maybe it's in Mason Dixon as well? Maybe I should check the Mason Dixon Kimono-but this one's pretty cute with some booties.

Yarnhog said...

I'm in mid-baby dress at the moment. A friend (who I didn't know was pregnant) just had a baby girl, and it's too hot in Georgia for a sweater. I couldn't find a pattern, so I'm winging it.
Sophanne--your on-going conversation with your mom in my comments has me laughing hysterically!

Olga said...

Oh, I know that one! I tried to make that but got derailed somewhere and ended up frogging it.

sophanne said...

I'm a little afraid of a 3 needle bind-off it calls for but I'm thinking (hoping) that if I can grasp Kitchener, I can do that.

Olga said...

the three needle bind off ,I think anyway, is a lot easier than the kitchener. I did find a great step by step instruction on the kitchener, it was in this knit calendar and I use it every time. If your interested let me know, I don't think sharing it would break any copy right laws, would it?

sophanne said...

I'm good on kitchener- I'll holler if I need aide on the 3-needle!

Thanks