Thursday, June 21, 2007

Possibilities, Plans and Preoccupations

I didn't make it to Bridgeville instead I found a closer shop in Canonsburg. Ruth at The Knit Shoppe may never be the same after facing my glee at a new hot spot. Even better, she was delightful! Great yarn, some sort of fancy dancy automatic tea-maker, lots of no-pressure time to browse, gentle suggestions for projects, help in sorting through the discount chest, and an invitation to sit at the table, relax and take it all in. I may have found my home.

Possibilities

This is the handspun I purchased at the fiber festival. It's too big and warm to work with right now but I foresee a simple bulky sweater made by using the Sweater Wizard program.

Plans

This is some sock yarn purchased with the intention of learning how to knit 2 socks at a time with the magic loop. I am under the impression (thanks to the video podcast at Knit2gether) that I need 2 long circs to do 2 at a time. Is this true, Jen? I called Ruth and she's sending the second along in the mail just in case.

Preoccupations

More yarn for another Dumber Than A Box of Hair Postal Bag v. 4.0. (I'm pretty sure Knitting for Peace is not interested in any credit/blame for past failures). Having finally found a LYS clerk that I like talking to, I feel pretty good about the yarn selection. Knit2gether also had a video podcast on this science experiment so there really are no excuses for failure other than I do not plan on swatching and sizing.

I found some light blue Cashsoft and will use it to crochet (with a small hook) an edge around the kimono. Anyone notice that I've finally figured out the html code to bold and italicize things? Stay tuned...

7 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You gotta love no pressure browsing time!!

Yarnhog said...

Oh, congratulations on finding a good LYS. The one nearest me is a wash. They carry mostly Plymouth Encore (which is a basic acrylic blend), and are pretty unfriendly. Actually, the wife is the one who is unfriendly. The husband is a little TOO friendly. Which I guess could account for the wife's attitude. I'm looking forward (with only a tiny bit of malicious glee) to Dumber-Than-A-Box-of-Hair Postal Bag, version 4!

Quail Hill Knits said...

Hi. I followed your link from Yarnhog and now I'm curious. What in the heck os Dumber-Than-A-Box-of Hair? Oh and congratulations on finding a good LYS. I am lucky enough to have one in both California and Washington.

sophanne said...

Dumber than a box of hair postal bag is an ugly morph that started as an attempt at the Postal Bag in "Knitting for Peace."

I began calling it Dumber than a box of Hair after reading ADD Knitters post on Ass Clown and Gingersnaps with Tea comments which included the phrase "dumber than a box of hair."

If it takes a person 4 tries to understand that only wool felts and that it's important to be certain that you are knitting with 100% wool (as opposed to noro's wool/silk blend or wool and acrylic) then clearly that person (me) is Dumber than a Box of Hair.

If you click on the postal key word at the side, you'll get a glimpse of my journey.

Thanks for asking!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for nice LYS ladies. I'm heading to Leiden today to pick up some yarn for a wrap skirt. They're pretty nice considering the language barrier. I was once in there when the teenage daughter was all about helping me. I think if I spoke Dutch better, I'd be there all day. :)

I knit two socks at once on one needle using magic loop. I haven't seen the video that you mention, but some people also knit toe-up with two circs. Not sure if you can knit two at once on two circs... Check out Silver's Sock class (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm - scroll to the bottom for the link) to get step-by-step instructions on how to do the magic loop. She's has great photos all along the way. Have fun!

sophanne said...

Jen-I just took a quick peek at that site- looks like I've got my day planned! I can't believe I'm going to try this- you were an inspiration on this one.

Next thing you know I'll be copying Yarnhog and making some lace.

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

The great thing about "box of hair" is it's become so ubiquitous at my LYS that you don't even need the dumber than part. If you say I feel like a box of hair--everyone will know exactly what you mean. Have a great day!! And I'm so glad I'm not the only one that sort of thing happens to ;-).