Tuesday, June 05, 2007

graduation carnation

Today was "graduation day" for our sixth graders. I'm mostly never sad to see them go- not because I don't like them but more because they are growing up and they shouldn't be in elementary school anymore. For me, one student, waiting in line to receive his certificate, summed it up. He leaned over and asked me, "Why is everyone hugging each other?" Caught off guard by the question I answered, "It's just what they do-you might just want to hug and get it over with."

3 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Oh, congratulations! Our sixth graders are in middle school, and we parents hate it so much we are in the process of petitioning the school district to bring sixth grade back to elementary school, like when we were kids. It's tough, because sixth graders are so much bigger than first graders, but so much smaller and less mature than eighth graders. Middle school is a hellish place.

Anonymous said...

Awww. That's just too cute for him to ask that. It's funny how we just do things because that's just what you are suppose to do.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

How funny, my daughter's 6th grade graduation was last week and all the girls were bawling hysterically. Very odd, my husband called it 'display behavior!!'