Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Eating in the 'burg

I thought that farmers got up early in the morning. That's apparently so they can get to the market. When I arrived at 7:30 I saw a sign that said I must wait until 10:00. Given that setback, I believe I'll wait and possibly combine the Farmer's Market adventure with tomorrow's Livestock Auction (if I get the nerve to go to that-I might look a little out of place, having no livestock- but hey I guess that's where you go to get some.)

Remember when you were a kid and you got tired of playing school and "The Archie's" and "Speed Racer" so sometimes you would play Restaurant? We had a wooden sandbox-playhouse in our back yard in Batesville, Mississippi that was dubbed "Beck's Bag." We served lots of sand.

As I toured the dining establishments on this morning's walkabout in downtown Waynesburg, I was reminded of Beck's Bag. The food in general is slightly better than sand, but on any given day that's debatable. It's why I jones for a trip to NYC at least twice a year.

I share with you a tour of downtown eateries-in case you're ever passing through. You're welcome to eat at my house but that meal is generally salad in a bag and fake crab.

My Friend's Place is a converted McCrory's Drug Store. Does every small town have a business in a converted McCrory's? It was once a college diner on a side street and expanded only 2 years ago. It tries to be the TGIFridays of the 'burg in decor. They even use feta cheese in some of their dishes.

Groovy's is one of the only places in town that you can get a glass of wine and relax without being a member of the Moose or Elk's club. Be careful when you order the black beans and rice. That's exactly what you'll get and they drain the can of beans beforehand to keep the rice white. I won't even go into the racial implications and that aspect of this 'burg- too depressing.

I've never been to College Town Diner Home Cooking- it's a little creepy from the outside and the name keeps changing. Around here as soon as you see the words "Home Cooking," you know there's going to be a good bit of butter or lard.

South Side Deli is actually a pretty good deli but you won't get to eat there if it's after 2:00 pm so I don't get there much.


Hot Rod's is the 'burgs newest establishment. They have a great vinegar slaw (and I don't usually like slaw.) During the Sheep and Fiber Festival, they served BBQ lamb. I wasn't best friends with that. They also make homemade potato chips which are good if you're looking for a heart attack.

Finally, Lam's Chinese Restaurant- again-every town? It's good for carry-out. The wait staff (young not-so-efficient college freshmen and sophomores) sort of takes away from the whole "Chinese ambience." They make a great wonton eggdrop soup when they remember to include it in the order.

On the knitting front- the baby kimono is about 2/3's done- not really pictureworthy until it's complete. After several false starts (6x10=60 6x12=72) I'm finally ready to make some progress on a second helmet liner for Ruth's contest.

On the blogging front- just want to express appreciation to faithful readers (even if you don't comment) Summer vacation has always been a troubling time for me. Kind of like dead week in college. There's so much time, there's so much that could be done, but the schedule is all screwy and you don't know how to manage time. The desire for an interesting post has gotten me out of the house for the past 3 days (no small feat.) Reading what everyone else has going on keeps me feeling part of the planet. That might sound pathetic, but when I do a post on the "faces of the 'burg," you'll understand.

8 comments:

sophanne said...

p.s. to Yarnhog and Uber- I think there was a second set of speakers- no need to quarrel.

Olga said...

Alrighty then! I'll be swinging over to the'burg as soon College Town Diner opens up!heh

Anonymous said...

Oooh ooh, I have a friend we call Hotrod who's from Western PA. He likes diners too. Thanks for the tip off!

Yarnhog said...

"They even use feta cheese in some of their dishes." Having spent my life in large cities (San Diego, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, Moscow...), this made me laugh hysterically. I've never thought of feta cheese as exotic before! I even regularly buy it at the grocery, along with (skim) milk, (reduced fat) butter, and (fat free) yogurt.

sophanne said...

yes, feta was the funny line- but not so funny when everyone around you considers it so exotic- as in- "You want whut?"

Hot Rod's has a t-shirt that has some suggestive line on the front about taking all 13 inches at Hot Rods (on the back) I'm not sure who they thought their clientele would be- I don't know too many women who would be wearing that shirt and the only guy might be someone named Hot Rod. Get them while they last-

Faith said...

I am absurdly hungry, so all of these spooky-ish restaurants look absolutly delicious! Good luck with your summer crisis- I'm sure you'll find a spectacularly entertaining way to pull through!

5elementknitr said...

The diners look fun! The thing about Tucson (which we moved away from) is, as shitty a town as it seems to be, there's really no shortage of excellent restaurants. Go figure.

We never could find a decent Chinese reastaurant. Maybe it's having grown up in CA but I'm really picky about my Asian and Mexican cuisine.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oohh, College Town Diner has my vote for the most inexplicably appealing!!