Tuesday, June 12, 2007

counter culture

No pictures from this field trip so far but a few observations on the Florida "counter culture"- the over 70 set known for early bird specials and bad tipping.

Conversation overheard in the deli restroom-

"4, 7, 9, 13, I have 7 grandchildren."

"Do they all live here in Florida?"

"Oh, yes, wait, 4, 7, 9, 13, one lives in Maryland, one lives in Oregon, the other 4 live here. Some of them are boys and some of them are girls. Four of one and three of the other. Wait, maybe it's three of one and four of the other."

Sign seen at the cash register at the deli-

"Only 2 credit cards may be used to pay the bill. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause."

At first I wondered, who could eat so much that they would need to use a second credit card to pay the bill... duh. Then I imagined the woman in the restroom coming for an afternoon nosh with her friends and understood.

Comment made to me at the LYS in West Palm Beach.

"Koigu KKPM? Oh, that's not sock yarn. It's for mitered knitting"

Have I been misreading what people say about the Koigu?

Note to self about my impression of Florida LYS's so far- there's a LOT of novelty yarn in West Palm Beach. It makes sense when you look at the deep tans many of the women have. Nowhere else would glittery gold sparkly yarn look so good.

I will go nowhere without the camera from this point on.

7 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Oh, geez, I wish you had pictures!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You are so DAMN FUNNY!! I am so glad to know where novelty yarn is a mainstay...

Anonymous said...

When I was really young, I lived in Alabama. I still have family there. You know it's bad when people from Alabama think Floridians are tacky. haha!

But did you buy any Koigu??

sophanne said...

I bought some Lorna's Laces sock yarn. My goal is to buy a skein of what I've read so much about as I find it. I almost picked up some Malagbrio, but this was the first of 3 LYS's and I didn't want to push it.

Also I was afraid the LYS police would know I was going to make socks and wondered if this was a different Koigu. : )

Olga said...

Heh heh. I thought maybe they needed two credit cards because they are over drawn on them. Was the first lady counting every time she talked? keep the weird coming, makes me feel better about myself! ;o)

Yarnhog said...

Re your comment on my blog about the stuffed animals: I had over 200 of them as a kid. They lived on shelves installed all around the room just for that purpose, and every night I had to blow each of them a kiss before I turned out the light. I had a rotating system for which ones got to sleep in the bed. Can I really do any less for my WIPs?

Anonymous said...

Ha! Trips to Grandpa's adult community in FL did give insight to a different culture. But, oh it was so much fun! Had to think about the 2 credit card limit. Be on the lookout for the yarn police. They'll be looking over your shoulder.