Friday, June 29, 2007

Stranded knitting and Fame

So I was reluctant to put "stranded knitting" as the title of this post. Apologies to anyone googling those words and finding my blog.

I've gotten very good at counting to 58. I cast on, stockinette my 8 rows and then something inevitably goes kerflooey. The stranding (and all of the complications involved) is really not the problem so much as my inconsistent chart reading. Having cast on for it at least 10 times and gotten as far as row 13 at least once, I felt as though I should be allowed to post my progress.

The sock pictured (just there to distract you from my latest frustration) is Regia and my first attempt at something other than a stockinette stitch sock. It's a waffle pattern from Sensational Socks It's hard to see, but I vote yes on the way the yarn works with the pattern.




I chose this particular pattern so that I could work on my purling (K2P2 for 2 rows P for 2 rows.) My mother gently pointed out that I was doing what Annie Modesitt calls a combination purl. Yarn was going clockwise instead of counter. I'm not really sure how that happened other than sometimes I get those two confused. Things have been working out with it, but it was something that was on my mind.

Yarnhog proclaimed me a Rocking Girl Blogger- so now I know that they like me, they really like me.



My duties, should I choose to accept them include naming 5 others as a Rockin' Girl Blogger. Brooklyn Tweed is out I guess and most of my favorites have already been crowned but I pass the torch on to-

Uberstrickenfrau because she makes me laugh and is dutiful about commenting across my favorites

Lydee who although she's new to blogging, is a genius with the camera and can make any scene look magical.

and Lauren who lives with Faith at No More Sweaters. It's not knitting content so much but it's where I like to go when I need a break from knitting surreality and want a different kind.

Everyone else I like to read has indeed been tagged but if for some reason you feel left out and want to play, I have two more nominations left. comment here and I'll say something kind and clever about you and post it.

At first I thought these were like chain letters but when I think about it, it's a good way to get to some sites you might not otherwise.

This is getting long but... today is a visit to the eye doctor. It might be just me, but every time he starts the old eye inspection (just as he's leaning in to the giant eye machine and just before he starts saying "number 1 or number 2") I almost can't contain my laughter. His giant eye moving straight for mine reminds me of the cartoon scenes of peeking through a keyhole.

And finally-I'll give it another six months, but Bob is going to have to get his own blog-friends. Today he asked me to beta his idea about a new reality show called "Chores." (He's not a tv producer and doesn't even play one on tv, but that rarely ever stops him.) The contest would be to complete 25 chores first- such as, finding the lowest interest rate for a car loan, making reservations for an airplane, finding the most efficient cell phone deal, replacing a lost social security card, etc. Who wouldn't want to watch that?

7 comments:

Lydee said...

Whoa! Thanks! Hubby's home, he said in a sleeply, not caring kind of voice, "what's that mean?" Maybe I should have him and Bob get together and blog.

Lauren Barnett said...

i totally commented on the wrong post before...sorry! ha...if you didnt get that one...thanks!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm with you. I may not be doing stranded knitting, but this lacy thing is kicking my boo-tay for the very same reason. I cannot pay attention long enough to remember where I am. We'll get there. :)

Olga said...

Thanky thanky thanky for thinking about me! Now the heck can I tag? everyone is taken.....
The reality showneeds more root-canal and dog poop cleaning and filthy out houses to make it fly.THEN you got something to watch!

Haley said...

i'm so excited you're doing the stag bag. i've totally wanted to try it ever since i saw it in knitting daily. but since i don't really need a bag and i have so many other projects in line, it will have to wait. but maybe i'll try something similar soon. happy stranding!

Yarnhog said...

I'd like to see a show with chores I actually have to do...like fishing a chocolate chip pancake out of the dog's throat before she swallows it, washing the hair of an uncooperative toddler without flooding the bathroom, or cleaning kid barf off the sofa without giving into the urge to throw up myself. Actually, never, mind. Bleah.

Yarnhog said...

Thanks for the comment on the lingerie tank. It was fun to do, and relatively quick, so I'll probably do another, and probably in green!