Friday, May 11, 2007

Watch me Swatch


So I was looking on-line about the proper etiquette in blog-land for moving from serious political opinions back to more relaxed knitting progress. Having found none, I'll just post and hope that it feels right.

Swatches from left to right- Marousskia from Chat Botte, Jaeger Aran Tweed, and Rowan something something.

I think the Marousskia will be the final attempt at a felted bag. It's so thick that it may not even need felting. It feels like it will stand up on it's own.

I have visions of a light cardigan in the Jaeger. I really liked the "purse stitch" from Vogue knitting (k1 yo K2tog) and envision a seed stitch at the bottom, a purse stitch next up to just below the chest and then I'm not sure. The swatch (though it's hard to see) has the seed stitch after the cables followed by the purse stitch.

The Rowan is looking good for another vest. I'm still fighting with what to do with multiple colors of Rowan 4ply that are fragile and no picnic to knit, but this stuff is like buttah!

I say all of this as if I'm a designer. That cracks me up, but one time I got a passport so that I could be a world traveler. You have to start somewhere.

The two on the right have been blocked and my what a difference. I highly recommend swatching and blocking. It made me like the yarn much better. (just in case it's a little too subtle, the previous two sentences are really pretty joking funny- everyone highly recommends swatching and blocking-only after reaping small benefits of doing a bit of it have I flip-flopped my opinions on it.) You can't believe everything you read, you know.

2 comments:

Yarnhog said...

"I say all of this asif I'm a designer." Well, heck, what do you think a designer is? It's someone who comes up with an idea, works it out, and executes it, resulting in an original product. You ARE a designer!
And in response to your comment on my blog, no, I will not be able to forgo the border on the endless blanket--my son won't have it.

sophanne said...

yes, but there's still that whole thing of working it out and executing it to go- I'm just assuming I'll do that : )