Saturday, May 05, 2007

How much?

Q: How much yarn does a person need for an overnight trip?

Keep in mind, I wanted this to be a sort of meditative experience. Hotel tv off, just me and the stockinette stitch, making some swatches and emptying my mind. A time to be grateful for the birth of my husband and for the life I have been given. A time to rest and empty my head in preparation for the week to come.

A: Don't let monkeymind pack.



I could blame it on the new bag. "So much yarn, so little time." I could blame it on having a positive outlook. "Maybe I'll roll and swatch some (all) of my stash" Mostly it was indecision. "But what if I feel like..."

As I count there are 13 different skeins (4 of which are already projects on the needles), 5 books, 2 sets of interchangable circular needles, and a kit bag containing the requisite measuring tape, notions and at least 5 sizes of dpns.

Take away the time I spent fondling potential, posing it for a picture, checking on Bob, icing the milk, talking on the phone, coming down with a cold, and pausing for the unbelievability of what takes place on Nanny 911, and there was about an hour of peaceful swatching. Scratch that... it wasn't so peaceful. Have you ever heard a bag of stash? It puts too loud hotel tv's to shame.

"Knit me, no no knit ME- I'll be the project that will make your skills seem more like a craft and less like a gamble. You have the most of me, I'm the best"

I ended up playing with Jaeger aran tweed. There was no real restful mind other than the one that was laughing so hard at the yarn packing monkey.

Today's caption asks "How much?" The answer? "So much."

Also might I suggest to any of the wonderful authors writing help books for novice-intermediate knitters with great hope that they include a section on traveling talking bags of stash?

3 comments:

Ginnie said...

Whenever I travel, I go a little overboard with projects as well. It's always nice to have options!

Yarnhog said...

Funniest post I've read in quite a while! I thought I was the only one with talking stash ("EXCUSE me--what am I, chopped liver?! I've been here for TWO YEARS! That alpaca silk just got here! Whaddaya think you're doing? Put that down! I said PUT THAT DOWN! I'm talking to you!") For some reason, my more impatient yarn all has a Brooklyn accent. I'm glad to know it's not just me. (I have never, however, packed fourteen different skeins of yarn for an overnight trip. Fourteen of the same, well, yeah, who hasn't? But fourteen different? No, never.)

sophanne said...

Did I mention that I had a laptop and another non-knitting book? (husband reminded me of this.) In my defense, at least yarn is lighter than books. In the past I've been known to pack as many books... just in case.