Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Project Mother's Day-War is Personal

I found this site (Mothers Day Project-War is Personal) through the blogs I read.

My "casualty" is Marilyn Gabbard. I don't think there's anything casual about it.

Command Sgt. Maj. Marilyn L. Gabbard
Hometown: Polk City, Iowa, U.S.

Age: 46 years old

Died: January 20, 2007 in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Unit: Army National Guard, Joint Forces Headquarters, Iowa Army National Guard, Camp Dodge, Johnston, Iowa

Incident: Killed when the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter she was in crashed in Baghdad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great project. I'm an army brat and lived on a military base during the first Gulf war - I was in high school. The big deal at the time was how many of my classmates had BOTH parents get called to the Gulf. My dad, by some miracle, stayed States side. I was really lucky, and so were my classmates whose parents returned safely in the end. That was a different situation to now, and I think about how many military kids there are with one or two parents at war. I'm glad that someone is highlighting this side of it.

Yarnhog said...

Wretched. I will never understand how opposing the war is equated with failing to support our troops. I want to see every one of them come home alive--that is the best possible support we can give them. As the mother of three sons, I've always thought that we should put moms in charge. You can bet there would be a lot fewer wars. (I used to be a diplomat, so you can understand my dedication to diplomacy instead of bombs.)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.