Monday, May 28, 2007

good enough until fall

Behold the Rowan chunky cabled vest. One sleeve has ribbing (with not quite enough stitches and needing to be redone.) The other sleeve remains unfinished. Once there are more stitches around the sleeve, it will be fine. The major concern-a decent fit around the torso- turned out o.k. Once blocked I believe it will only improve. Having grown a little impatient with it, I will call it an FO for now since it's too hot to wear it anyway. It will be the first thing I fix up in October. It's one for the record books in that husband/photographer was heard to say "that's the best thing you've made so far."

I believe him because I know he's a genius. Yesterday in the car he said, "hey honey, you could visit a yarn store everywhere we go and get some yarn that's kind of like a souvenir." I didn't tell him that the concept of souvenir yarn wasn't a new one. Instead I said, "What a GREAT idea!" I might be a novice knitter, but I'm no fool.

lessons learned- swatching can work-rowan chunky not for summer knitting-I can get better at knitting

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Congrats - it looks great! Can you tell me how you swatched for the cable? Or did you swatch over stockinette?

I know what you mean about putting it away for the summer. Everytime I think about shelving B's sweater for the Fall, we got a cold spell. Ah well. It's obviously a sign.

sophanne said...

Jen-I just swatched in stockinette but I think that maybe I got accidentally lucky. (only one cable-probably made the vest bigger than i needed to)-all factors combining into luck.

I thought about your cable swatching question. There must be a complicated math problem out there that combines a cable swatch gauge with a stockinette swatch gauge, but part of me thinks that you wouldn't really necessarily need more/less stitches so much as it would just take up more/less yarn.

I don't really know.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love that green so so much...and I love that hilarious pic in the side bar as well. Today I felt extreme anger and sadness for the people that are in harm's way because of our misguided administration's decisions. Normally I don't rant, but I just had to...

sophanne said...

I took the picture when we were in NYC and there was a group of people protesting the New York Times. We stumbled upon and then participated in the protest. We actually went and bought the paper and our protest was to read it in front of the protesters. What a treat for the California Guerilla Theater husband who protested Vietnam and his slightly younger wife who wishes she could have.

Husband and I spent the day between various news stories angry and in tears. It's so frustrating.

RANT ON!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's looking great! I love the color. I need to learn how to construct garments because I want a cute hand knit vest too. :)

Yarnhog said...

Nicely done! Beautiful cable. And boy, you better not let your husband out in traffic alone. How could he not see where that's going to go? Good for you!

Sonya said...

That is a lovely vest and too funny - yes, let them think it's there idea. Can't go wrong.