Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I may as well have..

Stitch and row markers- I didn't invent them but I may as well have. Reading and reading about stitch marker this and row marker that thinking what's the big deal? Just a little circle around the needle to mark where you're going and where you've been. Then suddenly, in what I believed to be a stroke of near genius I realized I could hook those crappy stitch markers and use them as row markers to indicate where I was in the cable pattern, eliminating the need for that annoying piece of paper with tally marks that I always lose. NOW I know what the buzz was all about. They aren't pretty but I know where I am. It's a sneak preview of the rowan chunky vest I'm working on.

Bob, feeling a little left out of blogland, has indicated that he would like to have a "complaint of the day." Today he wants to know why he doesn't get a tax rebate for voting, having had to listen to two years worth of campaigning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your vest looks awfully snuggly so far. It's gone cold again here - could use a snuggly sweater.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Now, how can you make some moola with that discovery?!

Yarnhog said...

I use a row counter (the kind with little number wheels that slide onto circular needles) to keep track of row numbers for cables and lace patterns. I often use two on the same project--one to mark pattern rows and one to mark which overall row I'm on, so that I can make sure that my fronts and backs, or both sleeves, have the same number of rows.

sophanne said...

For whatever reason, I can't keep track with the number wheels. I never trust myself to remember if I've turned them or not. I struggle in particular when I've put it down and have to go back to it. I see that number and wonder "what does that mean?"

Seems like the physical act of moving it from the beginning to the end has helped me not fear the repeating pattern so much. (the white ones equal 2 rows and the blue one is 1)

Now it makes me want to say I'll see your white stitch marker and raise you a pink one. I am so bizarre!