Sunday, May 20, 2007

Angora Anyone?

If I made these pictures as big as I'd really like to, you would be waiting until next year's sheep and fiber fest for them to load. Click on them if you want them bigger. This "little fella" (more like a giant watermelon size) was in the shade, but mostly the blue/lilac color is what he really looked like. I got quite an informative lesson on breeding for color from his owner.

Here's what I learned about giant bunnies. You don't shear them like sheep. In the "old days" (50's and 60's) people who complained of shedding angora sweaters likely had angora that was sheared with things like electric hair clippers. These devices, in spite of their efficiency, leave short little hairs all over the place. Angora that is retrieved using sharp scissors produces longer pieces and therefore, less shedding.

Another report from the intermediate novice sharing my experience as I work my way through the rest of the novice state.

2 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

So fluffy and cute!

Yarnhog said...

Oh, I used to have an angora bunny that looked just like that! Her name was Beast, and she traveled from coast to coast with me on planes and in cars for years while I was in college. I collected her fur for two years, with the idea of spinning it and making yarn, and then my mom came across the bag of fur in her garage and threw it out!