Thursday, January 31, 2008

winter-ference

Life interfered with knit night.

The dog is interfering with knitting progress.
"Pick a Spot" has been replaced by "Drop it" and "Down" as words most likely heard in the House of Sophanne.

I taught a mom and her 13 yo son to knit after school today. He didn't bring any needles- he might have been spotted with them. He learned to knit on pencils. Freshly sharpened pencils are good at preventing slipping Noro. They don't keep their points quite as nice as addis though.

I've cast on and frogged 9 rows of the Lettuce Leaf Scarf twice so far. Wise lace-knitters are saying that it's like algebra. If that is the case, it makes perfect sense. I always understood the concepts- I just couldn't get past the details.

The Ice Storm Cometh- or so I'm hoping.

That's all I've got.

9 comments:

Carol said...

We're battening down the hatches around ehre too. Big snowstorm supposedly arriving tonight/tomorrow. Like, a foot of snow is forcast. I bought groceries, beer and sparkling wine tonight. I already have yarn. I'm set. I don't have to leave the house for 3 days. let the snow begin!

Virtuous said...

Ooh yeah lots of teens knit with pencils! I think they do it b/c they think it is cool not b/c of the actual craft! ;op
Neat! I hope the duo keeps at it!

Ooh ice storm = safe & warm to knit!!

Anonymous said...

we've got a storm here, not ice though. I'm not all that excited about being stuck home with little people however!

Your dog and my youngest seem to have similar attractions to yarn.

Kim said...

Damn! If lace knitting is like algebra then I am doomed. Maybe puppy needs her own yarn. A nice big log of Red Heart.

Lydee said...

Oh, I can't wait to see pics, that is a beautiful pattern. Did you stay home today?

flutter said...

I cannot WAIT to see pics, girl!

Mary Beth said...

Puppies. Your blog reminds me why I don't have one. Kids/ Cats are enough trouble for me.

Lace, shmace! It's really not so bad. Some lace patterns are very repetitive & easy to memorize. I'd start there. My 1st lace project was one I couldn't "see in my head" so I messed it up continually. I just kept trying other patterns til one day it clicked.

Yarnhog said...

I've often thought disposable chopsticks would work well in a pinch. Usually when I'm waiting for dinner. (My husband has banned knitting in restaurants, so it's kind of a private little fantasy.)

Anonymous said...

Lace knitting is the best. It offers so may valuable hours of self introspection like "am I crazy to be doing this - I can buy the damn thing for $18"