Friday, January 25, 2008

Books? Who reads Books anymore?

O.k. not really but I've certainly decreased the number of books I make it through since this knitting obsession took hold. I used to devour them like a glutton at a buffet bar in P.K. (Pre Knit) Now they're the hors d'oeuvres that you eat when you're on a diet. I'll only indulge in the ones with cream cheese and don't bother with the chips and dip.

I've now been tagged twice for the page 161 sentence 5 meme that's going around. That means I get to give two page 161's. (though I guess I could have gone to page 322 instead.) I can't just have one thing at the bedside so I'm picking up the two most recent reads.

From Viktor E. Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning I was actually ON page 161 which was the afterword written by William J. Winslade.

"Frankl's comment hints at the reasons why Man's Search for Meaning has such a powerful impact on many readers"

The other comes from Pat Miller's book The Power of Positive Dog Training

"The target stick works really well in place of coddling."

The first book was a powerful read and one I would recommend to anyone-but especially to any blog friends who are a little more intimate with depression than they'd care to be.

The second one has offered some guidance but I was not able, as I had hoped, to give it to the dog to read so that she would know what to do and not to do. So it goes

9 comments:

stephanie said...

I have the same problem with reading since I started knitting. I am way more addicted to knitting than books at this point. Most of what I read now are pattern books or blogs. :o)

Yarnhog said...

I find a stick works really well in place of coddling, too. Oh, wait. You were talking about with dogs, weren't you?

Deborah-- said...

I can relate to the less reading and more knitting. I absolutely love to read. But I also absolutely love to knit. So what do I do? Well I make sure I read a little bit each night before I go to sleep, even if it's only a chapter.

flutter said...

do books about knitting count?

Actually I just finished Les Miserables, and LOVED it

Jenn said...

When I was a kid, I read all the time and now, I only read knitting books and cookbooks. I am an embarrassment to my 10 year old self!

Lydee said...

Man's search for meaning sounds interesting. I'll have to look it up.

Olga said...

heh, I had the same thought as Yarnhog- the quotes were easily applyed to either!!!!!

Bea said...

I love the Grinch design! It looks amazing, the color is my favorite! I'm sorry about your Mangled Joke :D, I actually had to frog the yoke twice before I got going well, I found a tip on ravelry that suggested placing a marker after each repeat, and that really helped me figure out what the hell was going on :P After the first 4 rows or so, it was smooth sailing!

Kim said...

I'd rather be coddled, but that's just me. I used to read at least 2 books a week in the pre-knitting days. I still love to read and always have a good book on hand, but now I'm lucky if I finish 1 book a month.