Saturday, February 02, 2008

Groouuund haawwg





Dear Jill Trinka, If you happen to see this and are opposed to it being posted, contact me immediately and I will remove it. Otherwise, I believe that there is a vast audience of bloggers that do not know about the existence of this song and I like to have an informed readership.

If you can't read it if you click it or don't care to, I'll just tell you that verse 9 is my favorite. "Up stepped Sal with with a snigger and a grin x3... Groundhog grease all over her chin."

To some of you this may be CMUS. To the music teachers, it's just another day at the office!

ETA If you don't need the melody or you can't embiggen-here are the words.

Whet up your knives and whistle up your dog (x2)
We're off to the hills to catch a groundhog
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

Too many rocks and too many logs x2
Too much trouble for an old groundhog
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

Over the hills and through the brush x2
Boys, I see that hog sign fresh
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

Up stepped Barry with a ten-foot pole x2
To roust that groundhog out of its hole
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

Work boys work for all you can earn x2
Will skin 'im in the loft and tan 'im in the churn
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

Work boys work just as heard as you can tear x2
The meat'll do to eat and the skin'll do to wear
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

Took 'im by the tail and laid 'im on the log x2
Swear to my soul he's a very fine hog
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

Put 'im in the pot and the younguns gonna smile x2
Ate that groundhog 'fore it struck a bile
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

Up stepped Sal with a snigger and a grin x2
Groundhog grease all over her chin
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

So whet up your knives and whistle up your dogs x2
We're off to the hills to catch a groundhog
Whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day.

10 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

Have you ever taught this one? I never have, but it's one I like to sing for fun sometimes. I pride myself on having a song to sing for every occasion in life and this is just one more example...

See a groundhog running across the road? "Whet up your knives and whistle up your dogs..."

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

My kids were BEGGING to go to Punxy today until we told them that there would be tons of drunk people everywhere and that they wouldn't get anywhere near Phil!

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with groundhog grease and not entirely sure that I would like to be.

Anonymous said...

I want to read the words! It doesn't let me embiggen. I have to see the song with groundhog grease in it!

sophanne said...

words are posted-

polly- I use this one the same as you when I remember. If I forget (which I did this year) I pull it out in the spring when I see dead groundhogs on the road and remember.

flutter said...

You crack me up

Yarnhog said...

I would be less disturbed if I knew what "whack-fol-did-le ol-ly day" really means. I think.

YawnOver said...

Ewww!!!

Kim said...

I hear thems ground hawgs is some good eats. I likum frendh fried potatoes, uh huh.
Wack fol-diddlely ol-day

Mary Beth said...

Oh, Sophanne. Ugg! I just et dinna & everthin'...naw I have upchucked & hav to stawt ov'r. (roflmao!)