Monday, August 20, 2007

Thoughts while working on sleeve #2

On Wednesday I go to school to get the music room ready for the kiddies. As part of this yearly adventure I like to have a theme that sort of guides me through the year and keeps things from getting monotonous.

Usually I use a nature theme. Last year's was "Earth Air Fire Water." The year before it was "Rivers." One year it was "Trees." It's pretty amazing how you can connect everything in the seven steps to Kevin Bacon kind of way.

When kids come back from summer vacation they all have a story to tell. I like to hear them but struggle to find a way to incorporate it and make it meaningful. So... this year's theme will be "Journeys" with the motto of "Are We There Yet?"

And I'm not really just talking physical journeys. I want them to think about the school year with a new classroom teacher and new stuff to learn as a journey. This will eventually lead to the whole music-making as process vs. product; the journey vs. the destination. To get things rolling, I was thinking about, instead of asking where they've been, asking them how they are different now from who they were at the beginning of the summer. How do your kids answer that question?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great question! My kids are nearly grown -- 18 and 22 -- but I think I will ask them anyway.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Cool theme! My back-to-school-theme is "I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than return to work"!!!

Mag said...

Everyone could use a little reflection on that question! I'd love to be there to hear what the kids have to say. :-)

sophanne said...

RE: "I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than return to work"!!!

That was my first thought but what with "Safe Schools" and all.

Lydee said...

LOVE IT! Can I steal it? I was thinking of asking you what your theme would be, but I thought it would be too much like calling eachother ahead of time so we can dress alike, LOL!

I'm am trying, trying, trying not to be bitter about sharing my room with the art teacher. I envy you. I wish I could go in and set up my room, and leave it that way, instead of pulling those instruments out every single morning. Any suggestions from you, I'd appreciate.

Olga said...

I think my kids changed in that they wanted to make their own choice of what they wanted, instead of me just doing it for them. I guess we all gotta learn that sometime, but it's hard to not be a control freak and rule over them with MY perfect will! Which they usually rebel against anyway....Your theme sounds really creative for the kids to make their own.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great theme!

Faith said...

I've missed you! Oh Journey...

Ginnie said...

I love the theme--it should really get your kids thinking. My mom was a teacher, and every year I would go to her school and help set up her bulletin boards and room. It was so much fun, although I'm sure she was ready for the knitting needle in the eye at the time!

5elementknitr said...

Your next theme could be the 5 element theory;
Fire
Earth
Metal
Water
Wood

Wonder how I knew that?