Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sat and Knat- a second time

In order to keep mold and dust from forming on my slothful-slovenly self, I pushed myself out the door and to the Tuesday night Sit and Knit. Actually- the LYS is only minutes from the local slot machine palace so GHB was more than happy to join me on the trip up the road which we now call "Vice Alley"

Yarnhog recently posted and pondered thoughts on knitting friends in blogland and the friends we make in real life. Does the internet make us less judgemental and more tolerant. After a sit and knit (it's not quite a blue enough state to call it a StitchNBitch) I am willing to believe that it is not the internet so much that makes friend-making easier but instead the knitting itself.

I faced a room of 6 strangers and can honestly say that if it had been "real life" I would have made a few snap judgements, decided who I was going to like and not like and proceed from there. Because they all had needles and projects that I wanted to see and know about, it was impossible to follow that not so great plan.

Darla had itty-bitty baby sweater sleeves, Stephanie had an entrelac bag that she was going to felt, Dee was working on felted slippers, Chris was casting on a sleeve in black and white intarsia, Kyrsten was doing a swatch for a sweater and Denise, one of the owners had that really cool Dutch yarn for the sweater that begins with a K that I don't remember. I got to see the body of it in person AND she's going to have to steek it to make it a cardigan. Justine, the owners daughter, sat ready with the new interweave magazine and at the internet to investigate all things mentioned.

The personalities reminded me so much of what's already here on-line. Darla made sure everyone felt welcome in the way that really great blog commenters do. Chris was quiet-clearly a lurker. Debbie was the "one who knows stuff" (in a good way.) She was also the bringer of muffin tops with zucchini, dried cranberries and walnuts. Stephanie buys stuff and wants to do every great project that there is.

Stephanie mentioned how funny it is that she could be doing anything, knitting, crocheting, baking a cake, or weaving on a "giant freaking loom" and her husband would ask her if she was knitting. Debbie talked about how, when counting and interrupted by her spouse, she counts louder and louder as if counting really means shut the hell up. Maybe they have their own knitting blogs for practice as well.

I usually run fast and far away from any social gatherings involving strangers (and not strangers). The knitting eased me in and the blog gave me something to talk about and add because I'd already "practiced" some of the stories on-line. There was no pressure at the end with a "see you next week" instead it was "see you next time"- this an important detail for one such as myself who cancels (or at least is sure to bring the xanax) every time a firm social obligation is made.


Oh yeah, AND you can buy yarn there. AND if it's not the right yarn for what you're thinking about doing they'll tell you. AND if you buy 1760 yards of that yarn anyway hoping for a different project to appear at some point in your life and start making excuses and mention the money that your husband is throwing away that very moment, instead of chastising you, they'll say, "Sister, your preaching to the choir."

8 comments:

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

It seems like every LYS S n B has its types, mine has 'Know it all Nelly', 'Chatty Cathy' and 'Bossy Britches', so I never go, but yours sounds like it was fun!!

Lydee said...

Okay, the muffin tops sound wonderful. I'm alway attracted to gatherings with food. I guess I'm sort of like an ANT! LOL!

Love your writing, it totally captivating.

Haley said...

sounds like a fun evening.
thanks for your fun comment on my flood post. i did all the calling around earlier in the day. i was exhausted and my Rusted Root was calling. Had to knit! love your comment about "destashing" my husband's papers. it was a much needed destashing. i will mention the tree planting to him :).

Anonymous said...

Candy is dandy, liquor may be quicker, but yarn is the best social lubricant around. (Apologies to Ogden Nash)

Yarnhog said...

Oh, that sounds fun! I joined a new knitting group recently, but I've only been twice (this morning will be the third time), and I don't really know anyone yet. I always feel a bit awkward in social settings, and being able to stare at my knitting and ask questions about other people's gives me something to do and something to say. As for the yarn--it is it's own excuse.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! My SnB meets on Thursdays and it's the highlight of my week. It took me a long time to find a SnB where I really clicked with everyone and found my PEEPS! Some of the SnBs I've attended were filled with not too friendly types, lots of knitting for grandchildren with repulsive acrylic, and no clue about knit blogs or the internets. Mmmm muffin tops!

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

The key is to find the LYS where you feel like you fit right in and join their knit night/SnB. My LYS holds a knit night every Tuesday which I rarely get to and a pub night right across from my work once a month which I rarely miss--Beer and knitting--a truly happy combination ;-D. And I'm not much for social situations either so I like the informal show up if and when you can attitude.

Faith said...

Great post, I appreciate your insights. It's so strange how I talk to the going-ons of my online friends like they're people we both know (because neither of us really knows, you know?!).