Monday, August 27, 2007

micro-knitting

by which I mean more like micro-managing and micro-reporting rather than knitting with dental floss and toothpicks.

My tone of yesterday's post no doubt seemed a little desperate. I am so grateful to Carla and Kim for suggesting a lifeline. I thought of that when I first looked at the pattern and was so excited to get started, it completely left my brain.

Instead I somehow thought that I could place stitch markers at every repeat of the pattern. This would have been fine if indeed the number or set of stitches between these stitch markers remained consistent. Row 1 (of 18) is complete and very likely off by a stitch. Row two is a purl row and I've decided, rather than drive myself crazy, to give that misplaced stitch to KG (Knitting Goddess). I'm pretty confident that I have the right number of stitches so I'm putting a life line in now and not fretting.

Tedious tedious tedious. Who Cares Sophanne? Most of us have beautifully knitted sweaters that we don't talk much about until they're done and on our bodies with a seemingly perfect fit! (O.k. now I'm talking to myself on the blog-yikes)

Mostly the point of this post is to say many many thanks to the commenters whose blogs clearly demonstrate their experience and yet who were willing to encourage and assist me in a mini-crisis.

This job thing has seriously cut into my knitting time. I even SKIPPED the afternoon "get home from school nap" to work on the purl row. On the flip side of that, with a Tangled Yoke yoke in crisis, I was able to focus my drama-lovin' self on that and ignore any and all work-related-pseudo dramas.

oh yes- as to asking kids where they've traveled this summer (we didn't get into the metaphysical just yet) the most popular venue was a newly built swimming pool/water park. Location? here in the 'burg. Just goes to show you I don't know everything there is to know about the 'burg AND that it was a good idea not to go to the pool after all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Glad to hear you're back into it. The lifeline keeps me sane with the Ogee skirt. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Olga said...

I'm impressed you are tackling that sweater, I remember her designing it on her blog and I thought, No way I could knit that cable sideways. sooo, keep the course for all us lame knitters who are watching and wishing we had your chops!

Anonymous said...

Once you untangle the tangled yoke part, the rest will be a piece of cake!

Janet said...

I keep staring at the pictures of Tangled Yoke in Interweave and salivating... but am a teesy bit scared of the... you know, "tangled yoke" part. Good luck!

Sharon said...

Admiring your intrepidness in knitting something I still can't wrap my brain around. I enjoy the blog posts about "process". Not boring at all! I wouldn't be knitting Monkey socks and the Argosy wrap if it weren't for the chronicles of those who have boldly gone before me...

(stop me before I launch into my Patrick Stewart impression!)