Monday, August 06, 2007

somewhere in between roving and fiber

is this bulky chessboard of a mess knitted on #10 US needles. It' the first effort of the drop spindle and I haven't yet really managed the dropping part of it, only the spinning part which is, I'm guessing why, it's so thick. I probably need both hands to pull it in (out?) The actual size is about 2x5" It felt like usuable fiber in a couple of places and if it were a pair of bulky mittens, it would be really warm-it's so thick. Slow patient practice-not too much at once-seems like the way to continue.


8 comments:

Lydee said...

Looks like you're having fun. I'm thinking a Sunday in September for our get together, or mom said something about the last sunday in august.

Anonymous said...

Looks good for just starting. I'm thinking about trying to spin, sometime in the future. :)

Quail Hill Knits said...

It took me months to learn to finally master the drop spindle. I hope that you prove to be more dexterious than I was!

Anonymous said...

Looks like progress to me! Keep at it. It's yarn if you can knit with it and I think it looks excellent. Maybe a really warm hat!

Anonymous said...

Hey now, bulky is a legitimate weight of yarn. I say go for it! Make those mittens!

Olga said...

The colors in that are nifty, can't be too bad now can it?

Yarnhog said...

But it's an actual FO in your own handspun! Clearly, it is real yarn, since you could knit with it. I had similar trouble the one and only time I tried to spin with a drop-spindle. It seemed like I needed a third hand, and I just don't have one. With the wheel, that problem is eliminated by the use of feet (it is also much faster, which is both good and bad). And I'm with you on the "not too much at once." I can only handle about half an hour at a time, or my shoulders and neck start to look like Quasimodo's.

Haley said...

i don't know how it looks in real life, but i like how it turned out in the photo. fun and thick.