Saturday, April 28, 2007

where it all began



In 2003, my friend Anna came to visit and we accidentally stumbled upon the first Sheep and Fiber Fest. Not knowing what the effects would be, we purchased size 10 Fiddlesticks needles and some ladder novelty yarn. That evening we had a lovely time on the back porch remembering how to knit, frogging periodically because there were gaping holes that we didn't know how to fix (as if they could be fixed in that gauge with that yarn) and enjoying each others company. As far as I know, Anna hasn't moved beyond scarves, but they served her well. Watching Anna knit relaxed and comforted her mother as she (her mother) spent her last days on the planet.

It's so easy to look backwards in life at the mistakes and regrets one has. Anna and the Sheep and Fiber Festival are reminders of looking back at some good growing parts of life. We were traveling companions together in the summer of 2002 as we both went to Kimberely South Africa to teach music in the township of Galashewe. We were knitting companions on the courthouse square as we were still trying to decompress from our respective changes a year after that adventure. Anna was recovering from double knee and gastric bypass surgery and I was working my way through how to be married. At the time I had no idea that I would love knitting and my husband so much. For the record, it wasn't the love of knitting that was the surprise.

I was out of town during the fiber festival last year. Like myself, it has probably grown. Who knows what this year will bring? One thing is certain, it won't be ladder yarn!

No comments: