Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Spring Flair Recognized

Wendy's design for the Flair was based on an earlier design for a children's Swing Coat. Being the not so much fashionista that I am, I didn't realize that this was a "style" of coat and thought it was a coat for Wendy's little girlfriend to wear on the swing. Today I wore it over a like-colored green springish sweater. The principal not only recognized it AS a SWING COAT, she also noticed the neat and tidy raglan sleeves thanks to the circular knitting. The final product may not have been everything I'd hoped for BUT it was recognized for it's redeeming qualities (a good design and an effort at better sleeves) I'm calling that a success today as I frog and redo the "adass" socks. Those metal dpns are just too slippery for knitting while backseat gaming. Will the adass socks get done in time for adass day? Stay tuned...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't manage with metal dpns either. Too slippery and too heavy for something so fingery.

I like the neckline on the flair -that would be flattering on me, but b/c I'm really short-waisted I don't think cropped tops work on me.

Curious if you used the yarn Wendy used.

sophanne said...

I didn't use the yarn Wendy called for. I used a Rowan DK- I got gauge but I'm not sure if the "feel" was the same. Since I've had some time to reflect on it, I think another problem was that I went down too far before splitting for the sleeves. I overcompensated because the last sweater I made was too small. The style worked for me because i was able to add some stitches to cover up the "belly roll" and I'm 5'10"

akaijen said...

Aah, I ask b/c when I went over to her site and looked at the photo, her knitted fabric does look stiffer, almost like it could stand up on its own. When you mentioned that it was a 'swing coat' that got me to thinking bc I often see those as felted wool, and your's is drapey.

The quality of the knit itself is quite great. it's just different. But certainly not bad or awful. Hang in there.