Monday, April 23, 2007

Mystery Solved

Remember this disaster? A giant postal bag that felted only minimally?

It could possibly be explained by this image. Contrary to my assumption (Noro is always all wool) made up only in my head with no basis in fact, this Noro was 75% wool and 25% silk. Think that had anything to do with the felting process? Another OBVIOUS lesson learned- always read the label. I have some leftover fiber from this project (which I once thought was going to be a sweater.) Now that I have created a 20" x 20" two sided swatch, I may try to make a little bag out of the leftovers and forgo the felting.

3 comments:

Yarnhog said...

Ha! That may be the first time ever that someone accidentally DIDN'T felt a handknit! Be proud; anyone can accidentally felt a wool sweater, but (to my mind, at least) it takes a pro to accidentally not felt something.

Yarnhog said...

Oh, and may I add--this is my first visit to your blog, so I just noticed your Bush Countdown clock--that I am horrified to note we have 635 MORE days! How is that possible? Did we elect him dictator for life?

Yarnhog said...

Okay, just one more thing, and then I'll shut up. I was trying to find your email address so I could respond to the comment you left on my blog, but Blogger won't let me. The green yarn is actually Berroco Cotton Twist (worsted weight cotton/rayon). Although it is lovely and makes a beautiful drapey fabric, it is a huge pain to knit, and I wouldn't use it again. It is very slippery and the plies are barely twisted, so even with blunt bamboo needles, I keep splitting the yarn and having to pick up the plies individually. Also, I find it impossible to correct errors without ripping back, since the yarn immediately takes off like a track star if you drop a stitch to rework something. Still, the finished piece should be beautiful. There. I'm done.