Saturday, April 14, 2007

and so it goes.


A 30 minute journey to the south of the Not-So-Big City proved fruitless. The internet suggested that I would find a not so local yarn store as my final destination. Such was not the case unless it's in the basement of a middle class residential house. Perhaps I will recheck the mapquest directions but not any time soon. On the way home, I stopped in the not-so big-city and found Plymouth Cascades in the colors above. Following the color, texture, and budget rules brought these skeins into my life. The superchunky baby alpaca was second in line but those readers who often look at yarn will know which of the three guidelines it didn't fit into. Only time will tell, but after an hour of owning the yarn, I think I like the way the rules work.

Equipped with colored pencils, Barbara Walkers book, "Knitting Around," a measuring tape, some graph paper and the internal fortitude that such a cool colorway can provide, I'm going to try to make a something something from scratch. Some people call it designing. I think it can only be called that once there is an actual product. It's sort of "if a tree falls in the forest..." thing. In my mind I have a short-sleeved t-shirt type sweater following the colors along the top right. As indicated in previous posts, I will be swatching. In fact I'll also be blocking the swatch. I recently blocked the brown baby-poop colored sweater from a previous post and felt the difference. It was still too small but for the first time I was a little sad about it. A warning to regular readers- actual knitting content may be a thin for a while. I just don't want to plow full speed ahead without thoughtful contemplation of each stitch and it's contribution to the finished product. I might have to blog about real life or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW that is some REALLY vibrant yarn!