Friday, August 06, 2010

A work in progress



Imagine a Starbuck's Frappuccino Mocha Coffee Drink made into jello and that's what we've got going on here.

It's not so pleasant to look at, as there are unmelted chocolate bits at the top as well as some of the liquid that melted during "unmolding." It tastes "adequate" and will likely improve texturally with the addition of some cool whip.

I think if I had gone with a clear coffee jello instead of adding the sweetened milk and the chocolate I might have liked it better. I possibly could have used less gelatin as the original recipe called for it to be cut into squares ala finger food rather than in a mold.

I may have to try this once more with those adjustments.

I'm off to Natural Stitches today. I really hope I stick with a plan and don't just buy random skeins of pretty colors. I wouldn't take bets on that one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a super fancy jello molded treat. Well done. That is infinitely more complicated than I would even attempt.
Have fun yarn shopping. I am going to the computer shop to "look". What you said about the bets might apply.

Cindy said...

It looks good to me. And, whipped cream will make it even prettier. And, the yarn shopping? Do what you want. Your vacation is almost over;-(

roxie said...

That's a gorgeous mold. If you want to get the sweet milk and chocolate in there, maybe you could make it in two parts. First set up the clear coffee part, then when it's firmly chilled, pour a cooled second layer of the mocha gell on top and let the whole thing set up firmly. Your guests will rave! I bet it tasted good just the way it was.

Buy the pretty stuff that leaps into your arms. It never goes to waste. One of my tres chic catalogs is showing unmatched stripey socks for $40 a pair. So if you knit the same pattern in two different, complementary yarns, you will be right on the cutting edge of fashion.

lisa said...

Becky, do you have the Cooks Illustrated How to Cook library for your Kindle? It has a lot of very interesting nuggets of info about HOW things work in cooking, and ways to modify recipes. Loads of fun for new cooks, as well as experienced cooks who want to cook more creatively without being locked in to a recipe.

JelliDonut said...

I think it looks pretty tasty. Slather on some whipped cream and you won't even notice the top.