Monday, August 09, 2010

Lee Richard (Dick) Hayman

I am at Aunt of Sophanne's today. I planned on coming to help with a few things and while I was driving here, older brother of recently deceased uncle passed away from complications related to Alzheimer's. And I already knew it was so because I saw that Monarch Butterfly as I headed toward the exit.

This is his obituary-

Long time Salinas, California resident and teacher, Lee Richard "Dick" Hayman died August 9, 2010 in Weirton, West Virginia at the age of 87. He was born in Indianapolis, Indiana. He taught at Salinas High School, Hartnell College,Monterey Peninsula College, San Jose State University and the University of the Americas in Mexico City, as well as conducting workshops for Salinas Elder Hostel programs. He was a lifelong literature instructor. He was one of the organizers of Steinbeck Interest groups in Salinas and helped found the national Steinbeck Center. A published writer, Hayman saw many of his poems and light verses appear in a variety of magazines, newspapers and books over the years.

He received honors from the national Steinbeck Center and the Robinson Jeffers Foundation of Carmel. They received his extensive collections of the author’s works and memorabilia, including valuable first editions. In April 2007, the Steinbeck Studies Center at San Jose university library unveiled his massive donation which will be used for research by scholars worldwide. It is recognized as unique and invaluable to the understanding of John Steinbeck, his home town, and his successful novels. Hayman will be remembered by thousands of his students for his wit and quick smile as well as his challenging assignments.


If you click on the link there is a picture of him just below Bruce Springsteen.

Here's the thing. He was awesome. One time (when the world was younger)I went to Lowe's with Uncle and Dick and seriously- my brain could not keep up with the punny humor, the quick wit, and the Marx-brothers-like shenanigans.

One time I was driving to work listening to NPR do a story on something John Steinbeck related and suddenly there was "Uncle Dick" (we called him that even though he wasn't "really" an uncle) talking through the speakers in the car. It blew my mind!

He occasionally sent me clippings of his poetry and thought it was hysterical that there was a British pop star that had the same name as I did.

Aunt talks about how he got to do everything he wanted to in life. The hardest part was the mental prison that caught him in the end.

The only immediate family members remaining are Aunt and Cousin of Sophanne. We will probably have an informal sort of memorial with family at the next holiday gathering- just to look at pictures, pay tribute, and collect memories. There's just not very many nearby left to immediately mourn his loss. And I knew I could count on my blog friends.

15 comments:

Yarnhog said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is wonderful, though, when someone gets to enjoy a long life and do all the things they wanted to do. Thinking about you and yours tonight...

JelliDonut said...

Doing everything you wanted to--what better legacy than that? My condolences for you loss and a toast to what sounds like a wonderful, talented family. Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was a wonderful man to know. His legacy will live on in the hearts of those who knew him. Thanks for sharing his story with us.

Cindy said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but glad he has been released. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease.

Mountain Mama said...

He sounds like a really neat person! How great that you got to know him! I hate Alzheimers.

roxie said...

Hugs! What a great legacy he left. It might be fun to collect his published poems into a chapbook to share with those who knew him. It's not that hard or expensive. Your local copy store could probably do it for you.

Sunshine said...

I look at it like this. "Uncle Milt" was needing a few good laughs and knew how "Uncle Dick" was doing so he decided he wanted to do some 'punning'. That is how it happened. Now they are both happy. But he was definitely one terrific man and he will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your uncle passed away. He sounds like a good guy. What a wonderful thing to have someone say about you, we'd all like to have done the things on your own lists.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear your sad news. Sounds like Uncle Dick was a guy worth knowing.

Becky said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, he sounded like an awesome guy. I'm sending you and your aunt good thoughts.

Becky said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, he sounded like an awesome guy. I'm sending you and your aunt good thoughts.

5elementknitr said...

Oh Sophanne! I'm sorry for your loss.

He sounds like a sweet, funny man and I'm sure he'll be missed.

janna said...

Catching up on blogs -- "Uncle Dick" sounds like a wonderful man for you to have known. I also grew up with lots of 'uncles' and 'aunts' and 'cousins' and even 'grandparents' who were really relatives of relatives (we used to say things like 'her aunt on the other side'). Many of those people were/are just as important to me as the ones I was actually related to, and I've always wished there was a way to recognize those not-quite-relatives in our lives.

doogieb said...

Sophane,
While this posting is over a year late, I still hope you find it. Your uncle Dick was to me always respectfully and fondly Mr. Hayman. I am one of the thousands of students whose life he touched. Honestly, and I'm 50 now, and a teacher myself, he is one of the 3 teachers who affected me most in my high school years. He took a personal interest in me and we spent much time together. I LOVED his Steinbeck class! He was a joy to be with, and I am happy to say that many years later (my 20th class reunion) I looked him up. We met up at the Steinbeck Library on Lincoln St. and sat and visited for quite some time. I got to tell him what a powerful influence he had on me and thanked him for being such a wonderful man in my life. I wonder how many times he must have heard this. He was a dear, passionate man who inspired passion. I am so happy that you had a close relationship with him. You were truly blessed.

Doug Booth
Eugene, OR
Salinas High Class of 1979

stljg said...

I've read with great interest and sorrow about the passing of Dick Hayman. I am a Salinas High School graduate from 1971 and Dick was a great teacher. After graduation we became friends to the extent he attended my wedding in the mid-1970s. I am going to post a few stories about Dick on Facebook amongst fellow SHS graduates and wanted to ask you a few questions before posting. If you would care to share a different email address other than this blog address, please respond to 101kogo@gmail.com

Best regards

John Grimes