Saturday, August 28, 2010

thanks for the help and other stuff

Many thanks to those of you with suggestions regarding the talking situation. It is actually a teacher lounge/lunchroom event and not a knitting event. Your words gave me other options- including time and space to sit and think about it. All of you commented before Beth did and her words were really insightful

....Marshall Rosenberg's book Nonviolent Communication; he has a wonderful chapter section about using empathy to revive a lifeless conversation. He says "it is more considerate to interrupt people than to pretend to listen. All of us want our words to enrich others, not burden them."

I'm trying not to attach myself to the way lunch "was" and instead looking to see what it "is" or "will be." One of the more clever and socially agile members of the group jumped in and had some success at slowing down the steamroller. If nothing else it will be an opportunity to notice how the world works and how my mind works in certain situations. (and let me tell you- it ain't always pretty.)

Moving on...

I am a flibberty-gibbet.

I am a lemming.

I am looking for the next thing to intrigue and fascinate me.

After finding such things and living them, I discard them and wait for the next thing.

For example-

10 shawls in 2010. I finished number 9 and didn't even post it. Gave it to catfeedingneighborlady without a second thought. I have no interest in the ta-da moment. I was more interested in whether it was something I could do. Now that I see it is- meh.

The plants growing in my space. With school daze in my head space, I don't have room for plants. We got some roma tomatoes. They were kind of mushy. If Mr. Sophanne hadn't spent so much time putting that "hardware cloth" fence around them, I'd be happy to feed the rest to the bunnies and the deer. They grew. I was amazed. I'll try it again. For now it's done.

Jello and cooking in general. What? Why was that interesting to me? That's what I'm wondering right now. I know it will be interesting to me again. Probably around June next year but for now, I repeat, meh.

Any given shawl or sweater knitted in the last 3 months. Oh yes, the knitting is done. The blocking? Who cares? Why bother.

On the other hand, I didn't knit nearly as much as I could have this summer- I spent more time doing other stuff. Now it is my place of transition and refuge after a busy day. I'm working on some socks for the winter and it feels good. There is yarn in my stash that I'm looking forward to using. I'm making plans in my head.

I'm also looking forward to the next thing that makes me say "cool" and puts a real smile on my face. Something new to obsess over and share with the circles in my life. Fortunately it always comes.

3 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Yes, it always DOES come. Can't wait to see what yours will be.

Yarnhog said...

I haven't looked at my ten sewing machines in a month. I think we all have a bit of that in us. I prefer to think it's just the change of seasons and activities, rather than a personal failing. ;)

Anonymous said...

I think that could be characterized as zest for life and living.