Friday, August 13, 2010

Culling

Cull tr.v., culled, cull·ing, culls.
To pick out from others; select.
To gather; collect.
To remove rejected members or parts from (a herd, for example).

I am culling yarn and books. Without much effort I've been able to remove 5 sizable boxes of books from my shelves and 2 large bags of yarn.

I head to the used book store with the books. The yarn will go with me to knit night- free for the taking. (so friend and colleague of Gina's-tell her she can't miss on Tuesday.)

This was inspired by Mr. Sophanne's daughter and the The Minimalist Knitter. And I'm o.k. with it. And I might have room on the shelves for the cookbooks and yarn I've recently acquired. And then some. And it may just free my mind a little.

7 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Less really is more. Thanks for the reminder.

Cindy said...

You are so inspiring, girl!

Anonymous said...

Our knit group does an annual stash silent auction. We cull our stashes, then bid on each others stuff. The proceeds go to a charity of our choosing. And usually there is some place that will take whatever doesn't sell.

roxie said...

I dunno. Nature abhors a vaccuume. As soon as I clear a space, somehow I acquire more stuff to fit into it. When I die, the estate sale people will be pulling yarn out from between the joists in the attic. It's already stored in the china cabinet. And behind the canned beans. Not to mention the shelves and shelves of it in my work room.

So, good luck with that minimalist thing! Be strong! Maybe you can manage what I can't.

Yarnhog said...

Culling is good. I do it regularly with clothes and toys and linens, and the Goodwill guy knows me by name. But I've never tried it with yarn or books. I'm pretty sure I'd give up my kids first.

Mountain Mama said...

Books, you say??? *ears perk up*

lisa said...

I will tell Gina to come on Tuesday, but she probably will not thank me as she needs to do some culling of her own...as do I...sigh