Sunday, February 10, 2008

PGH k&c the haul.



A swift that's not an umbrella. It "disassembles" and doesn't need clamped to the table. It's like a lazy susan. Pretty ingenious. Maybe a little not as "perfect" as an umbrella swift but it may be user error.


A Royal ball winder. I wound some cherry tree hill from my stash and have a yarn cake. I think there's a bit of a learning curve in that as well.

400 yds of brown cashmere and 400 yds of white cashmere- Yea, if you're a LYS and you have cashmere under $30, I'm your resident sucker. I'm thinking I'm going to follow some EZ directions for hat and mittens. I still have some unused green cashmere so I may be on to something. (I'd like to point out that I had enough sense to christen the ball winder with something OTHER than this cashmere in spite of every inner voice calling me to do otherwise.)

A "fiber sampler" from a shop that is relatively close and will be at the Waynesburg S and F festival. I don't know what I love yet and this will be a good way to find out.

Some not green (red-ish) sock yarn called "Melody."

Underneath the blue tag is a "yarn keeper bracelet" made by Humes of Delaware. Another ingenious invention (this one more reasonably priced) I'll get a better picture when Mr. Sophanne is around. Mostly the yarn cake can hang from your wriste by way of latchy things and wires with wooden balls at the end of them.

I also purchased the Folk Hats by Vickie Square. I think the hat that Mr. Sophanne wants is a sort of pillbox/cossack design.

The festival itself was overwhelming for this newbie. So much yarn, so many possibilities. So not a clue as to what I wanted to look at or where I wanted my knitting to go after the purchases. I guess that's why I went for the luxury. Then I didn't end up getting as much. I've learned that when negotiating quality and quantity, my tendency in stash enhancement is on the quality end. I'd rather have 4 skeins of cashmere than ten skeins of cascade.

The space itself was very crowded. But that will change as the location is moving next year. I was secretly hoping for a giant ballroom where there would be tables and tables of knit night like knitting to check out. This happened on a small scale but not as much as I had expected. It kind of felt like a missed opportunity. If you're not taking a class you pay $15 to be allowed to buy stuff?

This did not put a damper on knit-night like conversations. As I passed one store I heard a woman say "I'm going to blow up her house, it's all I can do." Passing another booth I heard "How do you catch a unique rabbit? U neek up on him." Now I've heard that joke plenty of times but not so much in passing at a festival.

7 comments:

flutter said...

That is quite a fabulous haul!

cpurl17 said...

I have one of those table yarn swifts and love it! 800 yards of cashmere? drool....

Yvonne said...

Most excellent haul! I agree, there's a learning curve with the winder and the non-umbrella swift. I'm clueless..where are they moving to next year?

Carol said...

The last festival I went to was the one in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. If you looked around, you could see lots of knitting. But it was ON the people! I got stopped a number of times with compliments on my Tomato top from No sheep for You.

Sarah said...

I was hoping that they would have learned their lesson last year and had the set-up be a bit more roomy this year. Oh well. I was glad I did my shopping early, before the crowds really got bad. It would not have been good to have a claustrophobia-induced panic attack in the middle of all that wool.

I love the swift that you got. I was looking at them, and were it not for the fact that I already have an umbrella swift, I probably would have bought one. They look a lot easier to store and a heck of a lot easier to set up. (Getting mine set up involves paper towels and plastic wrap to get it tight and to stay on the table.)

Sharon said...

Nice score! I am coveting a swift like that.

Kim said...

Nice haul of stuff! That's a neat-o swift.