Wednesday, July 07, 2010

really?

So after posting about our little groundhog encounter yesterday, I went through my GoogleReader blogs and jellidonut had this to share about her back yard visitors. Elk? Really? They're giant and I'm pretty sure would chortle at the thought of confetti poppers.

It was a knit night last night and while there were only three of us it was one of those evenings where everything seemed funny to me.

Marc said "the joke around our house was that when the smoke alarm went off we knew dinner was done."

Claire told of the squirrels in her yard sitting on the fence post cracking open burred chestnuts to get to the sweet meat. And of the birds that sit on the ground beneath the squirrel to catch whatever he drops. I just pictured birds who have migrated from Jersey to Pittsburgh saying- (insert Jersey accent) "Hey squirrel- throw us a bone here" or "You gonna eat all that or what?"

There was a job interview taking place a few tables over that we could not help but overhear bits and pieces of. Mostly the woman asking the questions was the Loud Talker so we heard those but not the answers. Tell me about a time when you set goals and how you worked to achieve them." My answer in my head "I'm here aren't I?"

Mr. Sophanne and I have been watching bits and pieces of "The Last Comic Standing." Come to find we both occasionally imagine ourselves doing that. I told him he'd be the kind of comic that would be like fireworks finale time- pow then pow- then p-p-p- powee!

At first I thought I'd be the dry delivery with a punchline girl. After last night I was thinking I'd be more like the escalating series of funny funny funny. Today though, I realize that i would be a terrible failure at it because my set might include lines like "so there was this squirrel eating chestnuts on a fence post- isn't that hysterical!?!" I mean who really has time to go into all the details? Can't you make your own jokes?

5 comments:

JelliDonut said...

I always wondered why people conduct job interviews in public places where they can be overheard by anybody having a cup of coffee. Seriously. Isn't a potential employee worth some privacy?

That story with the squirrels cracks me up! And thanks for the shout-out.

Cindy said...

The problem with that approach to comedy is the deafening silence while the audience imagines;-D

roxie said...

I make up shaggy dog stories. Of course you can make up your own jokes. I couldn't do stand up because you have to work at night, and as soon as the sun sets, I fall down.

Lydee said...

i love your stories! lol! too funny, the description of what type of comedian you and DH would be like!

Yarnhog said...

Funny!

I would NOT be happy about having to do a job interview in a coffee shop.