Saturday, July 03, 2010

The real reason

that I got fake nails is because I wanted to play "dress like twins" with Aunt of Sophanne when we went for dinner at Sister of Sophanne's. The search for a blonde wig was fruitless although I could have purchased Paris Hilton hair for $40 at the local Sally beauty supply. Why did I do this? To crack myself up.




My entrepreneuring niece set up a blanket after we left and sold 4th of July beads I brought for everyone at a 500% mark-up-just in time for vacation. There's one girl that won't have to worry about collecting too much stuff.

Because her family was leaving for vacation today, I didn't bring this cake



and instead opted for some healthier cantaloupe that would travel better as leftovers. GoodNeigbhorMarilynn told me how to do this one- It's a purchased angel food cake sliced in three layers. The topping is pudding, coolwhip, and mashed ripe bananas. I froze it overnight and it tastes like a nice light cake and ice cream. Looking at myself in the "dress like your aunt" picture, I think the next one will be made with sugar/fat free pudding and cool whip!

Something has discovered the garden- a deer or a bunny or a bear (possibly what LizaJane was barking at All.Night.Long) and I woke up to find a little yellow flower missing.




Should this continue, I may rename the garden "Sophanne's House of Fast Food Carry Out"

Here's a closer look at what I added last week next to the tomato plants. I don't remember the name of anything and these flowers were saved- possibly by a barking dog.

7 comments:

Yarnhog said...

The plant with the pink and yellow flowers is lantana. Drought tolerant, sun loving, and impervious to almost everything around here. I'm guessing your resident critters will leave it alone, too. (Here, at least, it grows to be a large shrub.)

roxie said...

Oh, who needs a wig? The nails make you two virtually indistinguishable. ;-)

If you put a sweaty t-shirt next to your flowers, it will keep them safe until the next rain, but the squirrels might carry it away for nesting material. Aside from that, 10 foot fences, and barking dogs are all I can suggest. Deer really love roses. Don't plant any.

Anonymous said...

You and your auntie are a scream! I guess you could have just walked through the bleach aisle at the Sally and really twinned it up big time.

Cindy said...

Don't ever lose that sense of whimsy, girl!

Mountain Mama said...

Now I have a face to go with a name! (Aunt of Sophanne)

Lydee said...

the cake sounds yummy!

i love summer because there's more time to bake!

save those little tags that come with the flowers and staple them in an old notebook you have laying around. you can make notes about whether it lives or whatever. and then you can say with pride, "i have a 'garden journal'!"

Anonymous said...

btw, lantana is toxic. That may be why it survived the nibblers. Oh, and the purple Japanese herb is perilla (I remembered).

You and your aunt crack me up :)