Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Daily blogging

I'm blogging today because I like to blog- fair warning in that I have little to say.

There's a new song going through my head. It goes like this- "The Dog goes on vacation but the cat stays home." (l dd ll ss ff m r d for the Friends of Solfege)

Packing-I am a thorough packer. (switch that around and it sounds like a name in a mystery novel- Packer Thorough.) This comes from about 15 years of "going to band camp" (yea, I know "one time..") Band camp packing is different from rental house packing and I think I'm finally beginning to get the hang of the switch. (how sad that for many years, band camp WAS my vacation?) With great effort I try to remember the things we never have when we get there. That said, coffee, filters, laundry detergent and garbage bags are ready to go. I may forget the obvious but we WILL have coffee.

Much has been written in blogland about what a knitter should pack. I am slowly overcoming my need to pack the entire stash. This success relates directly to the fact that I've heard there's a nice yarn store in Cape May. But- of late there has been both crocheting and knitting in these parts and I am hoping there's enough room to include both giant bags. How much space can 20+ skeins of wound Cascade take anyway? The knitting is all lace so I'll be able to fit 5-6 projects in a similar sized bag.

The availability of books on-line (I use the kindle reader app on my iphone- the actual kindle clicks too much when I change the pages-I should have waited for the iPad) make for much lighter travel.

I'm also a big fan of the Old Time Radio and Vintage Radio podcasts of "Suspense" and "Lights Out" (and others) so I will stock up on those as well. I finally found the old-time radio channel on Mr. Sophanne's XM radio so if I'm driving, he'll be in for a surprise.

I considered purchasing a prepaid mobile wireless internet (addicted much?) because I fear this beach house (which doesn't have phone service) may not have internet. Looking into, it I found too many similarities to the cell phone industry and decided to wait.

This blog began as a knitting blog. In just a while or so I will have some huge knitting to show. I've finished chart three of the giant Queen Anne's Lace in white malabrigo lace-weight. I really think it's going to be gorgeous and gigantic -if I have enough room to block it. Patience, my pretties, patience. I anticipate finishing that and Babette the 2 by the end of the summer. Then it will be time to get the sweater mojo going again with some handspun (not my own) in a tiger's eye color.

6 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Band camp? As the mom of a marching band geek, I'd love to hear about it!

Mountain Mama said...

Sophanne was a marching band geek in an earlier life!

roxie said...

Toilet paper! I take a partially used roll off the cylinder and step on it to flatten it out. You might not need it, but if you do, you'll be SO glad you have enough to get you through till you can get to the store.

A thermometer, Asprins, antihistamines, Immodium and Miralax to handle opposite problems with regularity, and vinegar (first aid for sunburn, stings, bug bites, and jellyfish stings)

Have a ball!

Marie said...

If you want to sell your Kindle I would be interested in it.

Diana said...

I'm so glad you left this link on my page. I loved your jello mold. It is so beautiful!

Cindy said...

You are so darned organized, girl!