Sunday, July 25, 2010

A or B- you decide.

This will be a retro post- I am taking you back into the past. Because of this, you need not feel bad for we have survived day one in the new rental and while there is no wireless, we did find the ethernet.

This morning while moving from rental A to rental B, I broke and gashed the right foot pointy toe. This particular toe has been broken so many times (I swear it must be some extra long genetic toe defect) that I have high hopes that this particular break will allow it to bend once again (it's been straight as a board since college)

Rental A- central air
Rental B- window units that flip the breaker

Rental A- internet service
Rental B- "it worked for the last tenants- they must have set the password- I don't know much about that tech stuff."

Rental A- doggie gate on the porch so that Lil Liza could be on the porch without the fear of her running off.
Rental B- maybe we can block the porch off with a chair.

Rental A- volume control on t.v. unavailable
Rental B- volume control available.

For the record, I could have lived without volume control.

Today we drove to Baltimore, picked up a rental car, dropped off our car to the daughter's in-laws and drove the rental back to the shore. Lost? East coast or west, Mr. Sophanne and I are the perpetual sequel to Planes Trains and Automobiles.

Failing to ice my toe before we left, Mr. Sophanne pulled off at the Maryland Welcome Center and bought an entire bag of ice to rest on my foot.

Unlike in the movie, we had no problem getting our rental car- however finding the in-laws house meant each of us in a car- no one as navigator.

The biggest win of the day was my "driving while navigating with Mr. Sophanne following" on and off I-695 to I-95 to-NJ-702. I must have been a cabbie in a past life. I'm sure the impressions my hands left in the steering wheel will come out in time. I was grateful that the broken toe did not have to slam on the brakes.

Thus ends this triple digit heat warning Saturday... stay tuned.

ETA- we slept well- Mr. Sophanne feared bats might fly out of the chifforobe (I DID NOT just use that word!) but such was not the case.

The main living area has cooled down to a balmy 79 degrees.

I finished the traveling woman shawl for the neighbor watching the cat- photos will wait until blocking because it does indeed look like a diaper.

The toe is feeling better.

Daughter of Mr. Sophanne and grands are on their way. (when they phoned last night to ask about the house I used the word "rustic" - really I should have used the words "rustic college-town rental including a drawer full of random unsorted silverware with a plethora of salad tossing forks")

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, you used "plethora", too! (Love that word!) So I'll forgive you for the chiffarobe thingie.

JelliDonut said...

I had to laugh about the "drawer full of random unsorted silverware." That's exactly what we found when we moved into our condo.

Sorry about your toe. Ouch!

Anonymous said...

The kids will have fun on the beach right?

Yarnhog said...

At one time in my life, solid walls and running water were travel luxury. My tastes have matured a bit. As my son says, "Mom's idea of camping out is a rental house with a big screen tv and a hot tub." I wish you luck with your "rustic" accommodations!

roxie said...

Navigating while driving? You are good! And now, a week with grand kids - woohoo

Haley said...

sorry it's been so long since i've visited. i hope you have a wonderful vacation!