Friday, July 23, 2010

Knitting ahead*



This is Romi's Brandywine in Elsebeth Lavold's silky wool. Just about 3 skeins worth- I will block it when I get home and anticipate adding about 4 more inches to the length as a result. (8 of 10)

Silky wool is divine. It's a light yarn with a substantial drape. It's heavyish without being bulky. Someday I imagine a sweater made from silky wool.

We revisited Historic Cape May- not for the history but for the shops. That Mr. Sophanne is a dear- I don't go into places because I really don't need anything and I don't want to make him crazy. His reaction is to peek in, see if he sees something I might enjoy looking at and drag me in. He doesn't do this with every place we pass- he just has a 6th sense about- "hey let's look in here."

I did visit the yarn store. Fiber Arts Yarn Shop It was a tall store- somewhat crowded given the displays and the 5 or 6 people that were in there. They were busy. They were selling things. The needles were behind the cash register- "must be 18 or older." (not really)

There was a large selection of novelty yarn as well as natural fibers. Standing out as a potential purchase was some Debbie Bliss cashmerino (oh how I love that yarn) and mmmmkoigu- in limited quantities. There was nothing that I needed or even really wanted so I left unnoticed.

Given that the Brandywine above was knit in stash yarn purchased at least 3 years ago, I believe it all worked out for the best.

Because the house we are staying in was not available for 2 weeks in a row, tomorrow we are packing up and moving 2 houses down. We are also preparing for the second round of family which includes driving to Baltimore and picking up a rental car. This has worked out well primarily because we now "know the territory." We can find putt putt and batting cages and the zoo and Wildwood and ice cream stands.

And - because you never know when kids might want to knit- we can find a yarn shop.

*This title makes me laugh and I looked for an image of "knitting a head" but could not find one.

3 comments:

flutter said...

that yarn looks delicious!

roxie said...

Lovely, luscious shawl! It's gonna be sooooo warm and cozy! I have a silk and wool shawl that is the go-to shawl for cuddlesome comfort, and I know you will enjoy yours. Please show before and after blocking photos. So inspirational!

Your vacation sounds such a treat - except for the move in the middle. Poop!

Anonymous said...

After seeing that shawl and reading your praise of Silky Wool, I am almost reconsidering selling you mine. Almost.

Actually, not even close. I just have to remember the red line on my left index finger where the yarn slides across it and think, "Life is too short." Deal = still on.