Friday, July 09, 2010

easy street

The heat wave of late has been a little taxing on my brain. Combine that with a few attempts at spinning and I don't really feel like thinking too hard about my other handcrafts so much. I also came to the realization that in spite of the fabulous plan I had for my Kaffe Fassett stranded knitting project, that really is one of those things I'm never going to do. Dear Knitting, Purling with strands is too hard for me.

Given these circumstances, I pulled out the crochet hook and the scads of Cascade that I bought for that workshop and started another Babette of sorts. When all else fails, mindlessly double crochet granny squares of varying sizes. I started thinking about which colors to use when but gave up on that after the center block. The only real method to the madness is that I'm trying to start the "next" square with the outer color of the previous one. Beyond that I'm trusting the colors to play nice together. However, no matter what it's next to, the yellow-gold on the far right center offends my sensibilities regularly.



Two more plants have been added. This first one had a tag but it's nowhere near me right now. I do recall that the tag says it attracts butterflies- and I saw one last night.



The second has no tag and I'm inclined to drive the 30 minutes back to the nursery to get it lest my garden journal be incomplete but have not yet done so.



I think butterflies might like it too. When pointed out these two plants to the kind helping guy at the nursery I referred to them as "purple." He gently suggested "Do you mean the blue ones?" Does blue = purple in gardening? Is there a secret color code that I don't know about? So much to know.

7 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

The second one is speedwell (some ppl call it Veronica). I have noticed that purple flowers are often called blue in my gardening book.

JelliDonut said...

Kaffe Fassett is one of those designers whose work I love but will never knit. It makes my brain hurt to even think about it. As for your adorable granny squares--I'll bet if you put enough of that yellow-gold, randomly placed, it will grow on you. I agreed with you at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Long live granny squares!

Mountain Mama said...

PS- A tip for the Speedwell: Mine at least, after they are done blooming, the leaves and stems shrivel up and turn brown. Last year I thought they died but they came back this year!

Cindy said...

Love your Veronica. It is purple. He is wrong. End of story. As for your Babette? Love it, but agree. The yellow gold stands out alot.

roxie said...

Pretty flowers. , no matter what color you name it. A rose, by any other name is just a sweet. That periwinkle color isright on the debarable edge between blue and purple. Like the color of a mallard's neck. Isit blue or green? The duck doesn't care. he just knows he's pretty.

Your yarn is well spun. Bravo!

And I love your granny squares - especially the size variations. The yellow does pop, so you'll want to scatter it around a lot.

Anonymous said...

I think the top one is Scabiosa. I don't know the totally purple one. No codes in gardening.
I'm with you on the golden yellow. It's not playing nice

Sue O said...

I agree, the first pic is Scabiosa. Love the grannies, I also think that once there is a bit more of the yellow/orange it will not be quite as strong.