Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pampered Chef?

Not so much.



A visit to the Humane Society's annual yard sale netted some more kitchen clutter. This collection cost all of $2.50. The electric wok works-though the inside is gently seasoned. I got it because when I tried to make chicken lo mein a few weeks ago, I ran out of pot.

Not knowing a whole lot I'm going to guess that the two pans are a bundt pan and an angel food cake pan. I'm assuming they are two separate entities intended for very different uses. I'll let you be the educators in the comments. For 25 cents apiece, if nothing else I can take them to school and let kids bang on them.

I think the ceramic pot was the best deal- it was $1. I have memories of a friend putting stew meat in such a container, putting the oven on low and cooking it for several hours. I'm not a big meat fan but it was the best time I ever wanted seconds on beef.

Last November, my mama sent me a "magic bullet" for my birthday. Having blown out several blenders and automatic little choppy machines, I was reluctant to get it out. Yesterday I picked up an assortment of berries and some plain yogurt and ice and made a smoothie. Go figure. I even put the appliance in a kitchen cupboard (where Mr. Sophanne does not visit) so that it will be handy.



In gardening news- the first of the purple/blue plants is indeed Scabiosa. The second is Veronica- also called Speedwell. Thanks to all who helped me figure that out. The roma tomato plants have one yellow flower each which I anticipate disappearing in the next several days unless Liza was fierce enough to keep the groundhog away permanently.

I purchased volume 7 and 8 of the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cooking on ebay (so mama you don't have to worry about finding/sending them). Now I think I'll go look in volume 1 and 2 for bundt cake and angel food cake recipes- (stay tuned for macadamia cookies- Mr. Sophanne's favorite- they are in the M's which is volume 7!)

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Yes, the tube/angel food cake pan and the bundt cake pan serve different purposes. I have tried to interchange them, but it doesn't work for me. That smoothie looks wonderful and refreshing!!!

Anonymous said...

Look at your fancy smoothie!! Perhaps I will make one for lunch.
The ceramic pot is a great score. Well done.

JelliDonut said...

Ceramic pots are great for roasting chickens. Very nice haul!

Anonymous said...

What you have is not a bundt pan, although it is similar. A bundt pan has sharp-edged, much deeper fluting. Do a google image search to see what I mean.

What you have is a jello mold, but I see no reason you can't bake a cake in it and call it a bundt cake. Just be sure to grease and flour it thoroughly so you can get the cake out of the pan (ask me how I know). Real bundt pans from Nordicware all have a Teflon lining.

Now that I have hogged your comment space with trivia... great haul!

Lydee said...

that ceramic pot is sweet!

i'm a messy cook, so instead of greasing and flouring a cake pan (bundt pans and whatnot), i use baker's spray. It's similar to cooking spray (think: Pam), but it has flour in it. weird I know, but it works. my particular brand is called "baker's joy" ("the original no stick baking spray with flour"), but there are other brands as well.

Yarnhog said...

Hmmm. I'm no chef, but that looks more like a jello mold to me. (Not that I make jello molds, but that shape is pretty distinctive.

roxie said...

If that fluted psn is made of thin metal like the angel-food pan, then it's probably a jello mold. I wouldn't bake in it because, if it's all aluminum, it will transfer the heat too fast, and the outside of the cake will burn before th inside cooks. But as a Jello mold, it's way cool. There's even a jello-fan's cooking blog. She gets gelatins from all over the world and makes up wild combinations, adding fruits, veggies and God knows what else. Some of it is enticing, some is just weird. Shall I try to find it again?

Sunshine said...

If you aren't careful, you will wind up with a package full of used kitchen 'stuff' in the mail. Even a teflon bundt pan! I have lots that I would like to get rid of! In fact that wok is identical to mine.