Sunday, July 11, 2010

I wish you could have heard me this morning.

It became obvious to me last night that while I have eaten plenty of jello in my life, I have never really MADE any jello.

Just before bedtime, I checked the progress and found myself quite gleeful when I saw that it had mostly hardened. I said "Well look at that- that cracks me up."

This morning I woke up (and again thanks to some buried "my mom made jello molds" factoid) I put the jello mold in hot water in the sink. I accidentally got a little hot water in the mold but it didn't matter much.

I pulled out the cake plate and

VOILA!





Oh the laughing and hilarity that ensued. I insisted that Mr. Sophanne leave his comfy chair and come and look. He said "it's a jello mold" He just doesn't get it. I MADE A JELLO MOLD! ON THE FIRST TRY! It was powder and water and fruit and now it's a piece of (albeit simple) food architecture. It seriously cracked me the h-e- double hockey sticks UP! I've even been taking laugh breaks as I type.

The recipe came from Victoria Belanger's blog, Basic ingredients - knox gelatin- gingerale-water- fruit. She called for champagne which I would think would make it yummy but was too complicating for a first try.

Why, my friends, does this make me laugh so much? What is my deal-io? Do you recall your first jello-mold/jello making experience? Was it similar or does it mean that perhaps I've achieved enlightenment because such simplicity astounds me? Do I now actually have something to bring to the "let's all bring something to eat" parties at school?

I'd like to thank my wise and wonderful blog friends for pointing out that it was indeed a jello mold I acquired yesterday. After doing a little preparatory jello research, I discovered that those goofy copper molds are actually used as jello molds and you can be sure I'll be flea-marketing for some of those in the near future. Even if I never eat a bite, the joy it provides will be worth the seventy five cent investment.

The masterpiece is in the refrigerator, recovering from a close call with hot water. This afternoon I will acquire some cool whip to complete the fabulousness. Oh what a life I lead.

ETA- it's Tasty too!

7 comments:

JelliDonut said...

It's gorgeous! Nice job!

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous! Too pretty to eat (almost). Your hilarity is making me laugh, too -- thanks!

roxie said...

That is a work of art! Now, play with whipping the jello when it's half cooled to make passtel mousse-textures deserts. Or add yogurt. Arrange the fruit in the mold and pour the jello in slowly so the fruit doesn't swim around. Oh, and there's always layering different colors of jello for a festive look. You are going to be amusing yourself all summer long.

Anonymous said...

YAY for you! I've never made a jello mold, but that fruity goodness inspires me!

Sunshine said...

Definitely there has to be words bigger and better than "proud of you". Yummie!!

Yarnhog said...

OMG--it's PERFECT! I wish I lived nearby; I really, really want a bite! (I am one of the few people who seem to love jello. It was the highlight of my hospital stays.) And now I also want to make my own fruity jello mold (lemming, much?)

Mountain Mama said...

It really is beautiful! And with all that fruit, it can count as a healthy snack! How did it taste?