Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Crouching Liza Hidden Groundhog

Just when you think that the only thing to blog about is how hot it's supposed to get outside, nature pitches you a blogpost.

I woke up this morning to the dog barking frenetically and Mr. Sophanne yelling "get the camera!"



A closer look at the invader-



Being the "more like city-folk than anything else" that we are, we first watched the goings on sort of like a nature documentary. Finally it occurred to us (when Liza got too close to the GH and he snarled and surged forward) that someone might get hurt and maybe we better "do something."

Mr. Sophanne said "I'll throw some rocks at it- maybe it will run away." I suggested that it wasn't going to run anywhere lest it be chased by the dog so I managed to get Liza inside.

With dog inside, Mr. S began throwing some rocks. GH was unphased. Seriously, what are a couple of rocks compared to a barking dog-

Then he said "Get the confetti poppers!" (these were left over from his birthday celebration.) Our thinking? Maybe if it sounds like a popping gun shot the groundhog will run.



After wishing the unmoved groundhog a belated "Happy 4th of July," we analyzed the situation. Was it hurt? Was it rabid? Was there blood on Liza's mouth? Are we in danger? What should we do? Thankfully we don't own a gun (yes we are Western PA anomalies).

Mr. Sophanne went to the bedroom to put on his "smack him with a shovel-make sure you've got a good ball cap and long pants on"- outfit.

I made a phone call to my favorite school custodian. I described the goings on and she said that the groundhog thought he was hiding. She essentially gave me the "Little Bo Peep" cure. "Leave him alone and he'll go home, wagging his tail behind him." Which he did. Although if you would ever meet Shirley the custodian you would be more likely to believe that the groundhog overheard what she said and behaved accordingly.

7 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Now that's something you don't see every day!

Cindy said...

How funny. Sounds like me;-D

Beth Bradburn said...

Nice picture there!

roxie said...

Did he see his shadow? Love the title of the post. Wonderfully well related.

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli said...

I am falling off my chair laughing at Mr. Sophanne's good ball cap and long pants outfit.
Also best post title EVER!

p.s. I've moved my blog. Have you seen any updates this week? I think I maybe broke it.

Yarnhog said...

The confetti poppers were a truly unique approach to the groundhog threat. I should have some of those in my night table drawer instead of the taser!

Lydee said...

LOL! I can't believe you shot confetti poppers at it! that is hilarious!

groundhogs always make me laugh because they look so much like Tubby (the cat).

p.s. love the blog title.