Monday, July 12, 2010

dinner- for us and the bunnies

This morning's beautiful Purple Queen bloom is gone. I hope it was yummy, bunny. It's once again a lovely decorative plant. GardeningNeighborMarilyn came by this morning and reviewed the troops We've got daisies- maybe some digitalis-definitely not a weed and something I never even noticed- strawberry plants. No wonder the bunnies and deer love us so. I'm not going to count on any fruity products but there will be no more Mr. Sophanne weedeating over there.

The creamed chicken was good. I've tried creamed dishes before- usually whipping cream and flour in some combination- an alfredo sauce of sorts. This cream sauce had the above and also included egg whites. It was very light and fluffy- not a heavy cream sauce at all.

I made an excess of mashed potatoes but really is there such a thing? And they reminded me of my grandma. And they reminded me of how hard she used to work when we went there for dinner. So much homemade food- the kitchen always hot and steamy- winter or summer. I just felt her there in the mashed potatoes. It was lovely.

There was fresh broccoli as well and enough leftover for a sweet little lunch tomorrow. For once "makes four servings" was telling the truth. It wasn't difficult but quite time consuming. I've added a "dollar store" paring knife to the kitchen supplies and had a nice time mindfully peeling potatoes. These recipes were no doubt in the time when the mama/wife had all day to put them together. It was also nice to have something tasty and chicken-y with fresh ingredients that didn't involve "add one can of cream of chicken condensed soup."

Soon we will be vacationing- the remainder of the week will involve preparing supplies for traveling to New Jersey with the dog. New Jersey? Really? We're headed to the bay side of Cape May- Reed's Beach.

The last time we went to Jersey I did not have a blog. This is a good thing. We rented the bottom of a house next to a noisy-water-craft rental place. It was the first post-marriage coming together of Mr. Sophanne's family members and I- things are always rocky at the beginning- we love each other muchly now. And at the end of the week, Mr. Sophanne lost his brother.

I'm hoping there's no Jersey hex or we're in for a doozy.

6 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

Sending good New Jersey vibes your way. I was born there, so speak with authority.

Mountain Mama said...

(so *I* speak with authority)

JelliDonut said...

I hope you have a happy and peaceful time. So sorry to hear about your BIL.

I love creamed chicken. I don't think it's that much trouble to make it with really ingredients vs. The Can even with the extra time involved. But I'm not really one to talk about cooking, me with my lack of cooking mojo. You don't sound like you have that particular problem.

Yarnhog said...

Oh, dear. I wish you a much better trip this time.

I don't like to cook, but the other inmates like to eat, so I do it every day. The task is much improved by having fresh herbs available to cook with. Perhaps you could add some of those to your garden? I use a lot of basil, oregano, marjoram, and rosemary. Especially rosemary. A little rosemary, garlic, and olive oil makes almost anything taste great.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Yarnhog. Fresh herbs are the way to go.
Happy vacationing. Hope it's hex free.
Kinda jealous I don't have my grandma's leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast.

roxie said...

I do hope you manage to blog from the shore. Looking for funny things to share with my blog-buddies helps me get through family reunions. And lots of photos -"I want to post this on my blog" - keeps people acting a bit more civily.

Too bad about the hungry bunnies.