Tuesday, November 02, 2010

My new knitting Crack



Mittens- my new crackcocaine of knitting. I think I'm going to do something else- maybe try a pair in 2 colors, maybe work on the shawl collared vest, maybe pick up the Queen Anne's Lace that is so close and yet so far from being done, and yet I find 40 more stitches magically cast on and a feeling of ready set go. I can finish one of these in a standard Mr. Sophanne t.v. time evening. The rush of finishing something so quickly is more than I can resist.

Once you do enough of them the whole thumb gusset thing becomes a non-issue-that's what's slowed me down in the past

I'm going to share these with my lunch crowd at Christmas (yes, even the endless talker because that's how I roll). As long as their hands are close to the same size as mine, they will have warm mitts for the winter.

I've also taken apart some of the multi-color babette the two to have enough yarn. This mitten binge is an awesome way to reduce the one-skein-multi-colored stash that I have acquired of late. It feels good to be knitting from the stash and while I haven't declared and official "yarn diet", the idea that I need more more more yarn is less and less prominent in my mindset.

Thoughts on a big yarn stash- when I first began knitting with good yarn, I was constantly concerned that I would not be able to get my hands on some. After experiencing the joy of knitting with wool, the idea that I would only be able to find red heart to knit with was horrifying unpleasant. Now I know I've got 3 LYS's within an hours drive and I also know that there is so much fabulous fiber online and independent dyers ship really fast.

That's not to say I don't have my weak moments- Sharon-Stitchjones-Mymommadethis posted the MOST GORGEOUS yarn there ever was. Fortunately I had just paid the credit card balance and wanted to go at least a week without adding to it. But oy, can that woman dye some beautiful colors.

There's no school because of election day so today I will go vote, go to lunch with a few of the school lunch friends, work on lesson plans so that I don't go crazy between now and the Holiday program, and probably knit another mitten or two.

6 comments:

JelliDonut said...

That's a whole lotta mittens! Makes me want to give them a try.

Becky said...

Wow, so many mittens, I'm stunned.

I think you need to make some striped mittens for that pile.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome. I have really been wanting to try mittens. Right now I am working on headbands for my kids. They hate to wear hats but they need something to keep their ears warm in this dreaded season. When I do get around to the mittens, I will be seeking you out!

Anonymous said...

V. impressive. Love the way you photographed them. Made me think of this site http://thingsorganizedneatly.tumblr.com/

No school on election day? Awesome.

Lydee said...

they're beautiful!

Sharon said...

(((Miss Sophanne))) thank you for the kind words!

Prolific assortment of mittens there. Great colors for fall/winter, too.