Monday, November 22, 2010

Another one down, approximately 100 more to go if I last that long

I'm referring to dental cleanings with the assumption that I'll live to 95. If not- then there will at least be fewer trips to the dentist. I can picture it now. I'm on my death bed, my organs slowly shutting down and I weakly look up (at who I'm not sure having had no children- we'll see who shows up) and declare "I will NEVER have to go to the DENTIST again.!" These will be my famous last words.

This evening's pre-trip anxiety could have been really bad given that Mr. Sophanne doesn't get home until around midnight tonight. However, I had a delightful surprise. Grandaughter (of Mr. Sophanne) #1 (age 10) rang in on skype (likely missing Grandfather who had just left) I happened to be blog reading at the time and was happily surprised to get the "call."

We chatted for about 15 minutes, she showed me the Seattle snowfall out her window and then the call sort of transitioned from a telephone call feeling to a "hey let's hang out even though we're on opposite sides of the continent" feeling.

She got out her violin and played some tunes. I had her hold the music up to the screen so I could do some rhythmic tutoring. I let her know why "Boil Them Cabbage Down" is such a great song and why she doesn't really have to hate playing it. She continued to practice, I took the computer into the bathroom and gave the dog a bath while I listened to her play. Before I knew it an hour had passed and I realized that my face was killing me from smiling so hard!

There are moments in life when the right things happen at the right time and you will remember them forever. This was one of them. I am such a lucky duck.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to spend the evening!!!

stephanie said...

That sounds great! I love that you were able to listen to her play.

Anonymous said...

Oh how cute! Good thing your teeth were pearly white since you spent the night giggling and smiling :)

Anonymous said...

Awww!