Thursday, November 11, 2010

What I've learned this week...

About the accordion:

You can feel the muscles in your "arm wattles" with a minimal amount of playing.

The rhythm of playing/pressing keys/buttons is completely different from the "rhythm" of squeezing in and out. Totally unrelated.

The big white tabs above the piano key side are stops that change the octaves. There is a 3rd grader proudly taking credit for discovering that. I had no part in it.

The accordion can make VERY loud sounds but sound better when played softly.

Guitar amps of the 1950's often had jacks for two pickups. (the place where you plug things in so they'll play really loudly). An informed source tells me that one was for the guitar and the other was for the always present accordion. Why anyone would amp an accordion is beyond me- unless maybe their arm wattles were tired.

About knitting for other people. This by request knitting feels great when the requester knows what she wants, knows what it's worth and then wears it every day! I knit a fair isle hat with earflaps from a modified Charlene Schurch pattern. (Hat's On!) I decided that I wouldn't do it for free- I asked her to pay the $20 cost of the yarn. The hours spent knitting are happy hobby hours and I don't need reimbursed for them.

Yesterday I got a thank you card with $50 and know full well she won't consider taking any of it back. Sometimes people want to pay what it's worth to them. She'll be wearing it everyday this winter as she drops kids off at school (during my morning bus duty.) I will see her enjoying that hat every single day of winter. Now THAT's some kind of knitting payment right there.

Someday there will be photo/video ops- right now it's just time to enjoy the moments.

5 comments:

JelliDonut said...

"Arm wattles." That cracks me up!

How cool that your work is appreciated. That must be a really good friend and a first-class person. Awesome!

roxie said...

Ah, cherish it. Such appreciation is rare!

Anonymous said...

She is wonderful, but rare!!

Sharon said...

A knit night buddy doesn't knit socks (yet) but wanted handmade socks for her mom. In my hand dyed yarn. So she paid me for a skein of sock yarn and I knit them for her. I didn't want to charge, because like you I love to knit and would have been knitting anyway. She insisted though, and paid me $30 additional. Goddess bless those who appreciate hand knits!

Anonymous said...

I'm knitting a hat for #2 Son's gf. Last weekend he showed me a sweater she wondered if I could knit. At first I said yes (with some reservations) but after more thought I told him the next day that I had too many other things in my knitting queue to add something else. Sometimes we just have to say no. (But I am delighted to knit her the hat or a scarf or socks or a cowl. Just not an entire sweater.)