Wednesday, November 24, 2010

look away, no need to stop here...

Unless of course you're interested in this week's cooking forays.

I told sister that I would bring homemade mac and cheese. (which really involved using jars of cheez whiz so I'm not sure how "homemade" it really is- but it's what we used to eat at home.)



Realizing that there would likely be little room in the oven for such an ordeal, I put it together (with noodles mostly cooked) and put it in the crockpot. I'll bake it for 2 hours on high tomorrow morning and hope for the best- the lunch crowd said an hour and a half but I'm tacking on an extra 30 minutes because it will have been refrigerated. We'll see.. we'll just see.

Sister also declared cranberry sauce as disgusting and slimy. I'd be sad without a little cranberry flavor mixed in with everything. I went a-searching online and found a recipe for a cranberry mold. Apparently cranberries have their own pectin if not cooked too long- who knew? Right now the berries are popping and bursting in a honey/orange juice/cranberry juice base. The jello mold is ready. Nobody has to eat it. It might not turn out but I will have had an adventure.



As is the case with all such adventures, right now I am full of excitement and hope- thrilled at the possibility of having made something people will eat.

We can all be that hopeful- at least until the serving spoons appear.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I love cooking cranberries! The popping!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Sweetie!!!

JelliDonut said...

I am the only one who eats the cranberry whatever and I don't care. I make a boatload of it anyway. Happy Thanksgiving! xoxox

roxie said...

Either you like those tart lil things or you don't. I'm in the don't category. Which is good, because it leaves more for you!