Monday, May 31, 2010

because I must keep knitting



and my knitting corner is a little too cluttery to find any the charts that go with the WIP's, I started Traveling Woman by Liz Abinante (rav link). It's another free pattern. It's another one of those patterns that I've tried to "mark as favorite" several times without realizing I was marking the same pattern over and over. It's really no surprise that I like this one because in terms of design element- knitting motif- it is much like the Wool Peddlar's Shawl. It also called for the exact amount of the STR (from February) that I have.

Regarding elements of knitting- the Barbara Walker Treasury of Knitted Stitches books came in the mail last week. Don't expect any finished object beautifully designed any time soon. I just like to look at the pictures. Have you seen this site- The Walker Treasury Project? It's a swatching of all those stitches done more recently, in color and photographed in a much more pleasing way. I dare you to take a peek at it and then not want to dig into some swatching.

Regarding gardening- I've never done it. Don't know the first thing about it. I DO know that you have to clear the beds of weeds and today I went to a box store, bought 2 little garden tools (a shovel and a cultivator?) and started clearing away the "stuff." Given that this area was once a flower bed, I'm no doubt clearing away the good with the bad. There will be photos and requests for assistance (though neighbor Marilynn helped the last owner do this so I've got some nearby help as well) in the coming weeks unless, of course, it becomes "another one of those things I'm never going to do."

If indeed I find myself with a patch of flowerless dirt, it will remind me of what I like best about blogland. Since there's no real time to have to make forced casual conversation, no one will ask me how my gardening is going. It just disappears into the annals of blogland!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you read The Norma? (normaknit.typepad.com)? She is The Gardener. You will learn all you need to know.

Anonymous said...

If you lose interest in the garden the weeds will take over. It won't stay a patch of flowerless dirt for long. I promise not to ask about it.

Cindy said...

So that means I can't ask, huh? I do love the latest shawl!!

Becky said...

"clear the beds of weeds"
The next steps are "inset plants" and "water as necessary." You're on the right track!