Wednesday, May 12, 2010

continuing on...

While it hasn't been written yet, I believe, for those of you who like to know what you're getting into, that this will be a random bullet sort of post.

The set up for the wireless fence/collar in Steubenville went fine on Sunday until it didn't. It seemed to be fine while we were there. Once we left, the charge was up too high and the perimeter was to small. This has made for several phone calls and a scottish terrier that is now terrified to go outside. Period. Accepting the fact that all dogs are not as smart as Liza and the fact that this may not be the dream solution everyone was hoping for is a little distressing.

The trip to the Children's Museum in Pittsburgh was delightful. I'm pretty sure these country kids were as impressed with the chartered bus as they were with the actual museum. Overheard several times was "This is the best day I've ever had!" Makes a body feel good knowing that I was the one who introduced the field trip organizers to the museum.

Visiting the new twins yesterday was Dee-Light-Ful. When there are two babies, there's never that awkward feeling of "Gee I'd like to hold the baby." There's always one that needs holding. I stuck around for 3 feedings, a bath and big brother and it was time well spent. No maternal instincts popping out. Just enough cuteness to make it a great day.

Tonight Mr. Sophanne's son, wife and 2 grandchildren get to the airport at 10:30 p.m. There is a little sheet-changing and grocery shopping to do but other than that, we are as ready as we can be for house guests. Is it just my selfish-a$$ self or does everyone feel (in spite of looking forward to an enjoyable family visit) just the teensiest bit resentful of space overtaken? I guess that's what comes from not having children. I'm just not used to it.

There are 17 teaching days- 3 1/2 weeks- until the start of the upcoming summer vacation. I keep saying "after this week it will go fast." I've been saying that since April. So far, not so much.

Although I'd much rather sit in this cozy chair all day, forward I must go.

4 comments:

Beth Bradburn said...

Not just you. I feel that way about houseguests too, even the ones I love and want to see.

Cindy said...

The very bestest babies are the kind you can give back;-P

Haley said...

My sister once lived in a house with a weird house/driveway/backyard arrangement that made it impossible to do a fenced in backyard without fencing across the driveway--so they decided to do the "invisible fence." Unfortunately, they messed up the installation and the poor dog would get zapped if she wore the collar in the kitchen. it took a little while, but they fixed it and their dog did recover from her fear of the kitchen.

Yarnhog said...

I have children, and house guests still give me hives. I think it's just having the routine disrupted. No matter how much you enjoy the guests, the disruption is always tough.