Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Narcolepsy and Band Camp

One of the biggest fears I have as summer nears its end is the fear of narcolepsy. Right now I can nap as I please, never worried about being tired at inappropriate times. It's difficult to believe that my body will accept being active for more than 5 hours at a time without demanding sleep. I've managed to make it work every other year but I fear it nonetheless.

I will be tested today as I teach clarinets for an hour of band camp this afternoon. I retired as a band camp instructor several years ago. Correcting kids about where they were standing (within inches of a 100 yard field) began to feel inane to me. This week and next I'm a "substitute" band camp sectional instructor for a couple of days (not nearly as demanding as full time.)

In band camps past I've been young, quick, hip, funny, clever, instructive, and patient. Today I am going to be happy if I don't fall asleep. Band camp stories to follow- if there are any.

13 comments:

Lydee said...

I thought I was all that and more on vacation, but my teenage niece didn't think i was funny. (her friend did though ;-)

Lydee said...

I've noticed that naps are universally enjoyed by teachers. I love my naps.

Anonymous said...

Oh, boy. I really feel your band camp pain. I'm glad to be a retired band camp person!

Kim said...

I can hardly wait to hear your "one time at band camp stories."

Anonymous said...

hehe When I ready the title of your post I thought you meant the movie Band Camp. I am sure what you will be doing will be no where near as interesting as in the movie.

Anonymous said...

hehe When I ready the title of your post I thought you meant the movie Band Camp. I am sure what you will be doing will be no where near as interesting as in the movie.

Yarnhog said...

I'm pretty sure I've never been hip, or any of those other things you mentioned.

Good luck with band camp!

Yvonne said...

I'm glad someone brought up the "this one time at band camp" line...although I hope your stories have nothing to do with a flute.... LOL

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ok just the combination of the words "band" and "camp" is terrifying to me. Luckily my kids are orchestra nerds!! No bleachers for me:)

flutter said...

you kill me

Carol said...

how's the narcolldepsy doing? Oops, I misspelt that, but I think it's funny so I'm gonna leave it!

Anonymous said...

"Oh and this one time at band camp" hahaha sorry just hadda say it.....

Mary Beth said...

You WERE cool & hip??? Think you still are. :)