Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A is for Knit Night

(heh heh- twenty-five more knit night posts where I don't have to think of a title)



This post is humbly dedicated to Lisa and the other lurkers in the blood department at Mercy Hospital. Not because there's anything significantly relevant for you but just because it makes me smile hard when Gina comes to knit night bragging about my blog!

It was a night of knitted toys. Debbie was working on about the cutest knitted bunny I ever did see and Dee was stocking up on yarn for Tucker the Monkey.

When asked what she was knitting, Dee was heard to say "You remember that monkey I did before..." Maybe it's because I'm still a novice regarding my knitting vernacular but it Cracks Me the H-E- Double Hockey Sticks Up to put things I hear at work or play in the context of the real world.

This can be further evidenced by the fact that when Darla told Chris (who was doing some stranded sleeve knitting) that she needed to put her balls in separate baggies I said, (before I could consider the possible inappropriateness) "Yea, well Darla, you need to put your a$$ in a bucket!" I don't really think Darla (or anyone's) a$$ needs to go in a bucket but there it was.

Are there other professions that have the same sort of hystericalness of speech when it's removed from context and thrown into general reality? Is the sense of humor of a 13 year old boy mandatory to make it funny or is it just an added bonus for me?

Gold medal of Patient Teacher to KNQD. There is a knitter working on the "class sock" from a book. Each week she has come seeking guidance and admits herself that she's concerned about driving people crazy with her questions. She is plenty friendly but there is a certain helpless quality in her requests for assistance. I am NO GOOD with that. Can't. Won't. Do it. KNQD, on the other hand, was a paragon of patience. She repeated and rephrased all of her instructions as many times was necessary.

Three Cheers for a teacher that doesn't insist that her students learn as fast as she does.

And while we're at it, Three Cheers for Gina and the blog readers at Mercy for validating this blog for another week.

And why not Three Cheers for Darla for still not knitting a gauge swatch on her most recent knit.

Chris should have Three Cheers for picking up and redoing sleeves that I would have burned with glee as a sacrifice to that wily Knitting Goddess

Three Cheers to Dee for doing another monkey.

And Three Cheers for out of context speech that Cracks Me Up!

and.. lest I forget... Three Cheers to me for finishing a pair of socks.

9 comments:

Lydee said...

Crack me up. I too possess the mentality I had when I was 11. So I hand Principal the title of the song the kids are singing for Earth Day. I tell him, Just be careful of the way you say it: Sit on the Green Grass, or the grass won't be green anymore!

Cindy said...

I read your title 3 times. Slow mental morning for me. Oh, and 3 cheers for your completed socks!

Olga said...

ohlala, where are the sockies?? we need pic's of 'em!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo for the socks!!

See you Saturday!

Kim said...

Put her ass in a buckt. I'm going to use that one. At SnB, Risa & I swear we are really 11 year old boys since we find certain kinds of humor hilarious.

Yarnhog said...

Kudos all around! Your knit night sounds a lot more energetic than my (daytime) knit group.

Mary Beth said...

My knit night's are almost Night of the Zombies. I will wistfully think of yours instead. And, Where's the socks????

Anonymous said...

Hilarious and congrats on finishing your first a pair of socks. THAT is an accomplishment, I know.

Thanks for your kind words too. You're right, they're scary good at making us sane folks doubt ourselves. Between that and the frustration of dealing with someone who refuses to see reality for what it is I decided it was time to walk away. Sometimes you just can't do anything.

Carol said...

It is sooo cool when you run into someone that reads your blog! I have had it a total of, ohhh, 3 whole times and it shines my monkey to no end! (sorry couldn't ressit a rididulous type comment....)