Friday, April 25, 2008

C is for crafty mr. sophanne



This morning as I woke up Mr. Sophanne said, "Hey honey, I got you a present yesterday."

Usually this means that Norfolk Southern (he's a railroad conductor) has given away another trinket to prevent employees from reporting safety concerns. safety incentive. So I was expecting a ball cap, key chain, or travel mug.

Instead he walked down the hall with the gem you see above. I was sure it was worth a fortune but after a quick ebay/amazon search I found that the only bargain he got was paying $3 instead of the $5 asking price. Just another instance of the trash vs. treasure phenomena

The title page says that Alice Carroll was a consultant on the American Red Cross Knitting Manual- it's published in 1947. Under the picture reads

This attractive suit represents the versatility of modern knitting, a far cry from the days when knit garments were intended to keep one warm but not necessarily attractive



What I couldn't capture were the pages of the Three-piece Cape suit. Cape, jacket, and skirt knit on size 1 needles at 8 stitches to the inch. Also missing are the men's swim trunks. All will be revealed in good time (which means when I get to the scanner or figure out how to photograph documents)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I really wish you could have captured the cape suit and men's swim trunks. On second thought, maybe not so much the latter. :-P

Cindy said...

What a cool gift. I don't care if it only cost $3. I love vintage patterns. What a good guy you have there.

Sonya said...

"...intended to keep one warm but not necessarily attractive" I love the restraint in that. Can't wait to see more!

Diane said...

Knit men's swim trunks .... hummm.

Kim said...

OMG! That is a priceless gem of a book. Mr. Sophanne rocks! I think I might've read about Ms. Carroll in another book, "No Idle Hands." She might've been a WWII knitting big wig. It's a history of social knitting. Bring your new book to MDSW, I wanna see it in person.

Lydee said...

awesome! mr. sophanne rocks!

Mary Beth said...

Now there is a husband who really pays attention to the little things about you! Awesome.

Yarnhog said...

I love looking at old knitting patterns. What cracks me up is how they all claim some variation of, "It's not your grandma's knitting!" Which, of course, it is. Our grandmas (and theirs) were crafty, creative, innovative people!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

He is SUCH a keeper!!

Sunflowerfairy said...

I agree, regardless of it's "worth" it is still a cool find.

I found a fantabulous 80's knitting book that I love. The photos are hysterical. I don't think there's any men's bathing suits though.

You win.

Virtuous said...

VERY thoughtful of him! ;o)

3 piece suit...on US1...that would be a NO! Haha!